Legal Services of Greater Miami, Inc., a top-rated non-profit law firm serving the South Florida poverty community, is seeking a highly-motivated, experienced professional with a proven track record to fill the position of Comptroller. Legal Services has a 7 million dollar plus budget and is the sole member of an LLC which owns its office building which is managed by a property management company. Additionally, the Legal Services of Greater Miami Foundation has an endowment to support the mission of Legal Services of Greater Miami and funds are managed by an investment company; it has a separate Board of Directors.
The Comptroller is the head of the Finance Department and reports directly to the Executive Director. The Comptroller is responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities. The Comptroller leads all day-to-day finance operations, and supervises a team of 4 staff members including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and grants administration. The Comptroller ensures that Legal Services has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation. Specifically, the successful candidate will also provide strategic guidance, financial planning and analysis, conduct audits, as well as fiscal leadership. The Comptroller will also develop tools and systems to provide critical financial information and key metrics to the Executive Director, leadership team and Board of Directors.
General Core Competencies
- Ability to conduct solid analysis and make well-informed, objective, and evidence-based decisions and recommendations.
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to effectively reach different audiences and manage conflicts.
- High degree of flexibility, capacity for self-management, and attention to detail.
- Understanding of and commitment to organizational mission and goals.
- Ability to plan, direct and coordinate work activity of others.
- Thoughtful and thorough problem solver.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to manage multiple priorities, and work under short and unexpected deadlines.
- Self-motivated with ability to influence, motivate, challenge, and inspire confidence among others.
- Unimpeachable integrity and personal ethics.
- Monitoring and controlling cash flow.
- Developing and maintaining a company’s financial policies and procedures.
- Creating and completing financial reporting systems (daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual).
- Selection and maintenance of financial software.
- Overseeing payroll and accounts receivable and payable.
- Completing audits and financial compliance activities.
- Monitoring debt/credit.
- Reporting to grantors.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business finance, supplemented by at least 5-7 years of non –profit experience with progressive responsibilities.
- CPA and/or MBA or similar advanced degree preferred.
- Exceptional knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, cost accounting and cost control principles, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Experience working in a non-profit finance environment with direct responsibility for federal, government, foundation, and private donor funding.
- Previous successful experience as an accounting supervisor or manager. Demonstrated ability and past success creating and leading teams.
- Excellent computer skills; experience in accounting software and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Experience presenting financial information to Board and senior staff.
- Ability to analyze, develop and implement improvements or recommendations.
- Able to work well with senior executives and team, as well as mentor/lead other team members.
Starting salary is $105,000 + depending on experience. Legal Services provides excellent fringe benefits, including health, life and disability insurance and contributions to a 401(k) retirement plan.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must submit a resume and cover letter explaining their interest in the position to [email protected]. The deadline for submission of required information is August 22, 2019.
Legal Services is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment in any manner prohibited by law. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, source of income, gender identity or expression, and/or status as a victim of domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking