The position of Executive Director reports to the Chair of the Board of Director and is responsible for managing and representing the organization. The Managing Director will work closely with the Board of Directors to ensure the organization fulfills its mission and financial responsibilities.
Fundraising: Develop resources sufficient to ensure and enhance the financial health of the organization through grants, private and corporate donations, and sponsorships.
Board Administration and Support: Support the Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization in meeting the needs of the South Florida Lesbian, Bi-Sexual, and Transgender community. Identify and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that may affect the organization. Act as a professional advisor to the Board of Director on all aspects of the organization's activities. Foster effective working relationships with the Board and Committee Chairs and members. Provide official correspondence on behalf of the Board when appropriate.
Financial and Facility Management: Assist the Finance Committee, including the Board Chair, in preparing and managing a comprehensive annual budget. Secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization. Research funding sources, such as grants, and oversee the development of fund raising plans and write funding proposals to increase the funds of the organization. Participate in fundraising activities. Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board. Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed. Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization. Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditure of the organization. Ensure the organization complies with all legislation covering taxation and withholding payments.
Program Management: Oversee the design, marketing, and management of AFW programs in collaboration with committee chairs.
Community and Public Relations: As the main spokesperson for the organization, assure the AFW mission, programs, and services are consistently presented in a positive and strategic manner, while representing the organization at community activities to enhance the organization's community profile.
Human Resource Management: Determine staffing/contractor requirements for organizational management and program delivery. Oversee the implementation of the human resources policies, procedures and practices including the development of job descriptions for staff/contractors. Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations. Recruit, interview and hire staff that have the right technical and personal abilities to help further the organization's mission. Ensure that all staff receives an orientation to the organization and that appropriate training is provided. Implement a performance management process for all staff, which includes monitoring the performance of staff on an on-going basis and conducting an annual performance review. Coach and mentor staff in order to support high-level performance and maintain a positive working environment. Release staff when necessary using appropriate and legally defensible procedures.
Event Management: Plan, produce, and manage events designed to support the organization’s budget in collaboration with committee chairs.
The Executive Director is expected to demonstrate competence in the following:
- Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Leadership: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, and monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Think Strategically: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization.
To be discussed at the time of the interview.