The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Foundation of Florida seeks a Database Manager. The Database Manager works closely with the Field Director to achieve the organization’s goal of protecting the liberties that define our democracy. This position is located in the Palm Beach or Miami, but may include some travel.
The American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of Florida is an affiliate of the national ACLU, a national public interest organization devoted to the defense of the Bill of Rights. For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has served as the nation’s primary protector of the liberties that define our democracy. The organization implements its vital civil liberties mission in all 50 states in large part through affiliate entities such as the ACLU of Florida. Operating out of four offices—Miami (main), Tampa, Pensacola, and Jacksonville—the Florida affiliate has a budget of over $8 million and 55 staff members, placing it among the larger ACLU affiliates in the nation.
The ACLU of Florida, the state’s largest civil rights and civil liberties organization, employs litigation, public policy advocacy, and public education to protect and promote a broad range of constitutional values and individual rights, such as freedom of speech, racial justice, right to privacy, religious liberty, criminal justice reform, voting rights, reproductive rights, LGBT rights, disability rights, and immigrants’ rights. The ACLU of Florida litigates a broad range of complex constitutional cases in federal and state courts through direct representation, filing amicus briefs, and submitting administrative complaints to state and federal agencies.
The Database Manager is a staff position within the Affiliate’s Field Department. The position reports to the field director. The position is focused on managing the organization’s volunteer and activist databases, and in providing data support as the organization seeks to dramatically grow the scale and impact of its volunteer activist network.
- Manage and migrate affiliate data of all sizes and levels into the EveryAction and NGP VAN databases.
- Export data from affiliate databases necessary for affiliate staff, volunteers, and chapters to perform their work.
- Integrate existing contact lists, sign-ups, and online actions.
- Submit regular reporting on campaign status updates.
- Complete regular internal system audits and prepare for upgrades.
- Understand and assist with the migration of affiliate data, edits to current data, and completing timely reconciliation to ensure data integrity.
- Use judgment and discretion to recommend changes that result in increased efficiency to the migration process.
- Conduct demos, trainings, and support for staff, volunteers, and chapters.
- Additional digital campaigning responsibilities as assigned.
- Conduct trainings for affiliate staff and volunteers.
While no one person will have all the qualities enumerated below, the successful candidate will bring many of the following qualifications and attributes:
- Experience on the administrator-side of digital tools, i.e. Hustle, NGP VAN, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Airtable etc.
- Passion for digital and the intersection between digital, tech and field
- Two (2) years experience working with nonprofits, unions, or political campaigns to use databases (especially NGP VAN and EveryAction) in supporting their data needs.
- Proven record in developing scripts, survey questions, activist codes, and geographical mapping supports in databases (NGP VAN and/or EveryAction).
- Have used Every Action, NGP VAN or other online/offline CRM software, extensively as part of your day-to-day responsibilities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and strong critical thinking, logical problem-solving ability, and a willingness to learn.
- At least two (2) year of experience in using data to build digital networks of volunteers.
- At least two (2) campaign cycles of field campaign experience.
- Fluency in Spanish or Creole preferred, but not required.
- Unwavering commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU, including a demonstrated commitment to equity and racial justice.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, within the range of $45,000 - $60,000. The ACLU of Florida provides excellent benefits, including health and dental insurance with generous vacation, holiday and sick leave policies, as well as a Defined Contribution 401K Retirement Plan.
Please send cover letter, resume, by email to [email protected]. All inquiries should include Database Manager in the subject line and all attachments should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please indicate where you learned of this job posting. No phone calls, please.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU of Florida reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the ACLU of FL, is currently working remotely.
The ACLU of Florida is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Florida encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. We encourage formerly incarcerated individuals to apply. If selected for an interview, please inquire if financial assistance is needed in order to attend.
The ACLU of Florida undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. Fluency in Spanish and Creole is preferred but not required.