The CFT is the California affiliate of the AFT, AFL-CIO representing education workers in public and private schools and colleges, from early childhood through higher education.
The California Federation of Teachers seeks an Organizer in Southern California to help coordinate internal and external organizing in the state of California. The CFT currently represents school employees, certificated and classified, at every level of public and private education throughout California (pre-school and Head Start, K-12, community colleges, private higher education, and the University of California). The philosophy of the CFT is to develop capabilities and expertise at the local level. All staff are expected to work with the CFT leadership to facilitate a sense of organizational identiﬁcation and inclusiveness.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This is not a 9 to 5 job. There will be considerable travel within the state of California. Some weekend work will be necessary. The successful candidate will be expected to develop organizing strategies as well as plan and help lead organizing campaigns of the Federation.
Qualiﬁcations and Experience:
1. Public and private employee organizing experience.
2. Working knowledge of public and private sector bargaining laws as well as labor relations law and practice, membership recruitment, representational petition campaigns, and elections.
3. Broad understanding of the critical issues and problems facing education workers and unions in California and nationally.
4. An understanding of education policy, especially in the state of California.
5. The ability to work independently and as a collaborative team member.
6. The ability to develop and lead organizing campaigns.
7. The ability to direct the day-to-day activities of other staﬀ, member organizers, and volunteers.
8. Current California driver’s license and insured vehicle.
$97,850.00-- $136,734.00 (Steps 1-5 on a 10-step schedule depending on qualiﬁcations and experience), plus full employee fringe beneﬁt package: health, dental, and vision plans and retirement program.
Membership in the CFT Field Representative Union (CFT/FRU) is required. CFT requires proof of vaccination as a condition of employment.
The CFT is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer