We are looking for a Managing Director, Knowledge, Strategy, and Operations to increase effectiveness and efficiency of the region’s critical operations and administrative needs. You will develop and drive our data and progress-to-goal strategies, create a structure grounded in consistency and accuracy to strengthen functional teams’ communication and data analysis, and build the regional infrastructure needed to drive our movement forward relative to local and state policy.
In this role, you will not only drive data-enriched (quantitative and qualitative) strategic planning, decision-making, and communication to close our gaps to goals, but also develop and collaborate with regional leaders/teams toward improved, consistent, and forward-looking analysis skills and feedback cycles. Your focus will be internal, as referenced, and external; specifically, to ensure we are marketing our work and impact in the most accurate and effective ways possible toward systemic change in Los Angeles. You will also add capacity to Executive Director leadership by managing oversight of all related systems and structures needed to accelerate regional progress, plan proactively, and advocate for equity and the LA region in both everyday and unanticipated situations.
The Managing Director, Knowledge, Strategy, and Operations reports to the VP, Regional Strategy and Development, and will manage a team of 1-2 people.
The Managing Director, Knowledge, Strategy and Operations will be responsible for:
Knowledge Capture, Management, and Communication
- Develop a coherent, cohesive story (“case for support”) about our team’s impact with updated data points and relevant materials and collateral for Executive Director, regional, and organization-wide use.
- Work closely with functional team leads and other key staff, to develop a deep and accurate sense of regional progress and how it should impact regional and team strategies, marketing, and communications.
- Ensure all teams within region are developing consistent and effective communication, including necessary course correction given shifts in the various ecosystems (online, local, state, and national) in which we operate.
- Ensure regional team members are effective and achieving greater outcomes over time by developing their data usage and analysis skills, expanding their understanding of our landscape and results, and implementing quick feedback cycles.
Data Analysis & Infrastructure
- Monitor team progress towards regional and organizational goals, and work closely with team leads to refine and carry out a regional reporting strategy (i.e. dashboard). Lead monthly team huddles (“Tuddles”) designed to inform staff functional team and regional progress to goals, celebrate successes, and highlight opportunities for cross-functional support.
- Assess, clean, structure, and analyze cross-functional data for purposes of reporting, analytics and visualizations.
- Ensure that systems exist across our regional team and within each functional team to maintain and sustain data integrity.
- Proactively identify trends in regional data in support of Executive Director and functional team leads’ ability to take action and have significant impact.
- Design and produce reports that summarize a cross-section of top-line data on fundamental measures of organizational success; present information in a way that maximizes insight and action for end users; and leverage sophisticated technical approaches to enable dramatically enhanced team productivity.
Office of the Executive Director
- Partner with Executive Director, VP, Regional Strategy and Development, and Regional Advisory Council on all aspects of annual planning including setting financial forecasts, vision, priorities, and goals.
- Manage the Associate, Executive Director Support, and ensure Executive Director’s time and capacity is allocated appropriately to short and long-term priorities. Facilitate excellent administrative support, information, and thought-partnership for the Executive Director at all times in partnership with the VP, Regional Strategy and Development, and Managing Director, Development.
- Collaborate with VP, Regional Strategy and Development and MD, Chief of Staff to support Executive Director in assessing state of the region on a quarterly basis, identifying what is driving and impeding progress, developing solutions to address gaps, and determining next steps region-wide and for each functional team leader.
- Plan for and lead all aspects of regional team expense management from partnering with Executive Director and VP, Regional Strategy and Development on annual budget planning and submission to ensuring functional teams are proposing and adhering to appropriate expense budgets.
- Lead all regional work that includes organization-wide Regional Operations, Risk & Compliance, Legal Services, and Facilities/Technology (includes real estate) teams, in particular as it relates to Executive Director capacity.
- Conduct and continually update landscape and SWOT analyses taking into account qualitative and quantitative regional team data, as well as external data and stakeholder perspectives. This is particularly critical at this time given proposed state policies and our political landscape.
- Lead and execute other cross-functional data and reporting projects as needed, setting the vision and direction for the project and developing project goals, timelines, and measures of success. An example would be a landscape analysis of projected corps member expenses, in particular the various credentialing programs, to ensure our prospects can afford to live and teach in Los Angeles.
- Collaborate with MD, Chief of Staff and Regional Advisory Council to develop, publish, and train staff and board members on consistent, holistic messaging about regional vision, costs, and impact.
- Participate in regional and organization-wide initiatives and events such as corps member selection and induction, staff learning and development days, institute events, new corps member confirmation, and other regional priorities.
- 7+ years of work experience required
- Previous experience setting project vision required
- Previous experience in strategy and/or policy required
- Previous experience at Teach For America strongly preferred
- Previous experience in education preferred
- Ability to build relationships across lines of difference (ideology, race, ethnicity, gender, socio-economic status,etc.)
- Sincere belief in Teach For America’s mission and the communities we serve
- Facility with data analysis and ability to translate data into actionable solutions for a team
- Exceptional communication skills; ability to effectively convey information through a variety of media
- Ability to set and evolve project vision and direction
- Ability to make timely decisions and demonstrate good judgment
- Ability to motivate others and manage team execution toward high-quality results
- Exceptional strategic and critical thinking skills
- Remarkable orientation towards collaboration and working across functions
- Demonstrates exceptional judgment and discretion with confidential information
- Fluency with PowerPoint
- Ability to navigate a variety of constituent management systems; fluency with Salesforce CRM preferred
- Occasional weekend and evening work required