Under the supervision of the Director of Strategic Engagement, the Strategy Assistant will support various initiatives and projects related to Digital Media, Communications, Higher Education Engagement, Employer Engagement, and External Relations for the organization. The ideal candidate is self-motivated, technically-capable, detail-oriented, and has the ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced, innovative environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Strategy Assistant performs a wide range of duties including but not limited to the following:
- Provide administrative, project and communication support for MCAN’s engagement strategy
- Oversee and implement MCAN’s social media strategy, integrating multiple platforms to effectively communicate the organization’s key messages
- Assist with the development and implementation of MCAN’s communication strategy, including the organization’s website content, marketing and presentation materials
- Facilitate and develop content for the organization’s blog and other online stories
- Oversee MCAN’s webpages, which includes regular updates and new page/content creation
- Oversee analytics of MCAN’s website, e-news, and social media
- Write and send organizational e-mail messages along with coordinating all outgoing e-mail messages from Cvent among all MCAN departments/programs
- Proofread all issues of the e-newsletter
- Manage the College Access Impact Awards
- Support AdviseMI’s social media strategies
- Provide staff support in planning and hosting meetings, convenings, and other special events, including the organization’s annual conference
- Attend meetings and events on behalf of MCAN as requested
- Collaborate with consultants to accomplish tasks
- Perform other duties as needed to advance the mission of the Michigan College Access Network
The ideal candidate should:
- Have an understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities.
- Have experience considering the impacts of college access on multiple communities, including communities of color, and those with low socioeconomic status.
- Have experience incorporating the perspectives of multiple communities, including communities of color, in the consideration of impacts and outcomes of a decision-making process.
- Prioritize work, multi-task, work independently with minimal supervision, and accurately perform duties in a fast-paced environment
- Have ability to solve problems, pay attention to detail, and follow through on tasks assigned through completion
- Work efficiently and adhere to established deadlines
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Have a passion for working in the nonprofit and education sector – especially for post-secondary attainment
- Have extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office Products and Gmail as well as knowledge of basic office and communication equipment and software
- Have strong written communication skills that demonstrate professional composition, proper grammar, clarity, and reflect the tone of the Michigan College Access Network
- Communicate clearly and professionally with MCAN staff and its partners
- Have a valid in-state driver license for local travel
Education, Job Knowledge, and Experience Requirements
A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and 1-2 years of related experience is required.
- Experience with Content Management Systems, preferably WordPress
- Experience implementing a social media strategy for an organization
Salary: $36,000 - $40,000
This position is full-time and is eligible for MCAN’s full benefits package including generous health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, retirement benefits, significant paid time off, paid holidays, and a fun work environment.
MCAN believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. MCAN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people from all backgrounds to apply.
For questions related to this position, please email Vicky Wright, Director of Operations, at [email protected].
To apply, please submit résumé and cover letter to [email protected]. We encourage you to apply by January 13, 2020.
About the Michigan College Access Network
Established in 2010, the Michigan College Access Network (MCAN) is a statewide nonprofit intermediary organization that mobilizes state and local leaders to increase college readiness, enrollment, and completion rates. Our efforts are oriented toward achieving the ambitious goal of increasing Michigan’s postsecondary educational attainment rate to 60% by 2030.
MCAN’s mission is to increase Michigan’s college readiness, enrollment, and completion rates, particularly among low-income students, first generation college-going students, and students of color. MCAN aims to fulfill its mission through advocacy, capacity building, convening, dissemination of research and data, development of partnerships, and investment.
As per our recently adopted strategic plan, MCAN will focus its work on the following priorities:
- Foster a college-going culture
- Identify multiple postsecondary education pathways and facilitate smooth transitions
- Improve college affordability
- Support credential completion
Vision and Values
College is postsecondary education
MCAN uses the term "college" to refer to the attainment of valuable credentials beyond high school, defined as postsecondary certificates and academic degrees.
College is a necessity
Postsecondary education is a prerequisite to success in a knowledge-based economy. Everyone must pursue and complete a postsecondary credential or degree beyond high school.
College is for everyone
The postsecondary education attainment rates among low-income students and students of color are significantly lower than those of other students. MCAN is committed to closing these gaps.
College is a public good
Postsecondary educational opportunity and attainment are critical to a just and equitable society, strong economy, and healthy communities.
For more information, visit www.micollegeaccess.org.