Context: Works with the Legislative and Political Director, Political Chair, Chapter Chair Legislative and Political Coordinator and Lead Lobbyist to help organize and implement the Political and Legislative program for Sierra Club Michigan Chapter for the 2020 election year.
Scope: The Political Organizer assists Sierra Club Michigan Chapter members in protecting the environment, with a focus on legislative and political campaigns. Helps run our political internship program, provides communications and writing support, trains activists, performs digital organizing, manages mailings, helps maintain our political action committee fund, helps organize citizen lobby days, performs research, supports coalition building, and lobbies at the state capitol.
- Recruits and interviews political interns at colleges and universities across Michigan.
- Helps train political interns on organizing skills/strategies and Sierra Club Michigan Chapter’s priority issues, programs, and campaigns.
- Helps manage ongoing communication with political interns.
- Drafts and promotes press releases, action alerts, and newsletter articles.
- Gives public presentations on behalf of Sierra Club Michigan Chapter.
- Supports implementation of the chapter’s diversity, equity, and inclusion goals.
- Provides administrative support for our legislative and political programs including event planning, data entry, and mailings.
- Helps organize citizen lobbying events and maintaining legislative scorecards.
- May attend hearings at the state capitol on behalf of our Legislative and Political Director.
- Engages supporters in effective advocacy, public education, and awareness-raising activities to achieve campaign goals.
- Recruits and supports non-intern volunteers to further the goals and priorities of the chapter.
- Other miscellaneous duties as assigned
- Some experience in grassroots organizing, training, motivating volunteers, electoral/political campaigns, coalition building, and lobbying.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated public speaking ability.
- Some knowledge and background in Michigan politics
- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with volunteers.
- Self-motivated with a demonstrated ability to work independently towards goals.
- Valid driver’s license, satisfactory driving record, and proof of auto insurance required.
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications, Google drive, email, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, websites, and constituent database management applications such as the Voter Activation Network (VAN) and Salesforce is preferred.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.