Reports to: Director of Strategic Engagement
Employment Type: Full-Time, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. will include limited in-state travel and extended hours depending on event schedule
Location: Lansing, MI : In-Person (no remote options available)
Application Deadline: January 31 2023
Start Date: Immediately
The events manager will oversee the wide range of MCAN’s small and large events (attendance of 20 to 600) across departments and serve as an ambassador of the MCAN brand. Through establishing a cross-departmental planning process and maintaining MCAN’s commitment to high-quality events, the person in this role will build the organization’s capacity for hosting key events in and beyond Lansing. The events manager reports to the director of strategic engagement.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The events manager performs a wide range of duties including but not limited to the following:
- Brainstorming, implementing, and evaluating comprehensive event plans, often concurrently.
- Managing all event logistics with the support of planning committees.
- Evaluating venue and vendor options with an equity lens to support businesses that are inclusive of and/or owned by people from marginalized backgrounds.
- Managing event budgeting, invoicing, and processing of expenses in coordination with departmental leadership.
- Establishing database of regional event venues and relationships with event vendors; liaising and negotiating with event contacts.
- Managing MCAN’s event calendar and event supply needs.
- Assisting with outreach for sponsorships.
- Collaborating with strategic engagement department to manage event communications to internal staff, invitees, and attendees.
- Establishing and maintaining brand consistency for event communications and event materials.
- Managing relevant elements of Cvent (MCAN’s event management platform) for each event.
- Managing the evolution of MCAN’s COVID protocol for events, including recommendations for policies and procedures to prioritize health and safety
- Developing event feedback surveys and managing debriefings and other post-event processes.
- Managing permits, insurance certifications and tax-exempt documentation for events.
EDUCATION, JOB KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
The ideal candidate should:
- Have a bachelor’s degree in public relations, event management, communications, hospitality, or related program.
- Possess strong communication and project management skills.
- Bring three to five years of event management experience to the role.
- Have experience with event management software.
- Have an ability to collaborate across departments on multiple projects and timelines, and work independently with minimal management to effectively perform duties in a fast-paced environment.
- Have ability to solve problems, pay attention to detail, and follow through on tasks assigned through completion.
- Work efficiently and adhere to established deadlines.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Have a passion for working in the nonprofit and education sector, especially for postsecondary attainment.
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Have a strong and demonstrated commitment to equity.
- Proof of Covid19 vaccination and booster status will be required for employment.
Priority will be given to candidates with:
- A master’s degree in a relevant field.
- Bring six to 10 years of event management experience to the role
Benefits: Full benefits package includes platinum health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance. Also includes education support program (with benefit options of tuition payment or student loan repayment), employee development program, 403b retirement plan (with standard 4% employer contribution and up to an additional 3% match), 240 hours of PTO, paid holidays, paid maternity/paternity/adoption leave, employee assistance program (providing resources to support employees with finances, legal issues, mental health and more including free professional consultations) and a fun, engaging work environment.
To apply please upload cover letter, resume and professional references at the link below.
ABOUT MICHIGAN COLLEGE ACCESS NETWORK
MCAN is an equity focused organization and values having broad, diverse representation and inclusivity on our team. This is critical to provide perspectives and lived experiences to help guide our work to have the greatest impact. We especially encourage people of color and first generation college graduates to apply.
Since our founding a decade ago, Michigan College Access Network has known that college changes everything — and perhaps even more critical to our mission is the belief that college is for everyone.
We do what it takes to provide students in Michigan with a brighter long-term future, through college access and postsecondary certificate and degree attainment: doing the research, talking to agents of change, connecting resources, being a changemaker.
Why? By encouraging Michigan residents to earn postsecondary certificates and degrees, we not only help them earn more and promote their well-being — we also strengthen Michigan's talent pool, retain and attract businesses to the state and stimulate Michigan's economy in the process.
Through college access, we are also able to promote equity in our state. We work to ensure that every student in Michigan has the opportunity to attend college — especially low-income students, first-generation college-going students and students of color.