Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee’s mission is to feed the hungry by securing and distributing food and engaging our community in the fight to end hunger through regional partnerships, programs, and education.
Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee’s impact and team has expanded as the result of need and strategic direction. Now they are seeking the first Impact and Strategy Director to lead organizational initiatives and programs, working to effectively centralize all Food Bank partnerships, ensure programmatic efficiency and sustainability, and provide excellent customer service to internal and external partners.
Why Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee?
Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee has led the effort to end hunger in Northeast Tennessee since 1986. An affiliate of the Feeding America Network of Food Banks, Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee serves an eight-county region incorporating Carter, Greene, Hancock, Hawkins, Johnson, Sullivan, Unicoi, and Washington counties.
Before the COVID-19 crisis began, food insecurity in the U.S. was at the lowest point seen since before the Great Recession. In 2021, Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee reached record-high numbers, distributing over 16.6 million pounds of food and grocery products and providing over 13.8 million meals, a 28% increase over the year prior. Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee successfully started the Senior Food Box Home Delivery Program, Unite Us referral Health Care Partnership Program with Ballad Health, and Mobile Market program.
Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee is currently led by a 15-member board of directors, a staff of 30, and hundreds dedicated volunteers. The budget is $4.3M and revenue is generated through private donations, federal and state programs and grants, and special events.
Want to know more? Visit Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee’s website at https://netfoodbank.org/.
What will you do as Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee’s next Impact and Strategy Director?
- Serve as an integral member of the leadership team, reporting to the Executive Director.
- In collaboration with the Food Management Committee, Strategic Planning Committee, Executive Director, and other members of the management team, drive and manage formulation and execution of strategic plans, structure, and processes necessary to manage the organization's current activities and its projected growth.
- Direct day-to-day department activities, implementing programs that meet organizational goals and the organization's policies, and ensuring that the responsibilities, authorities, and accountability of all direct subordinates are defined and understood.
- Continually analyze and assess Food Bank programs to ensure sustainability, efficiency, and alignment food banking trends, technology, and strategic initiatives.
- Coordinate plans for development of existing and future programs to increase the output and effectiveness of programmatic activities in keeping with demand for various kinds of food assistance.
- Supervise the Programs Manager, Client Data Coordinator, Mobile Programs Coordinator, and any future program staff.
- Provide staff leadership to the Food Management Committee of the board in partnership with Food Operations Director.
- Develop new partnerships within communities, including new potential programs/initiatives and potential agencies.
- In partnership with appropriate management staff, coordinate efforts to evaluate the results of each area of operations and systematically report these results to the executive director and the program committee of the board of directors.
- Using quantifiable metrics and management expertise, perform departmental and programmatic audits to determine cost benefit as well as demand and service capability.
- Ensure effective organizational management and optimal production, recommending changes to improve operations or enhance service as necessary.
- Develop and install procedures and controls to promote communication and facilitate information flow within the organization.
- Establish operating policies consistent with the executive director's policies and objectives and ensures their execution.
- Ensure all organization activities and operations are carried out in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations and laws governing business operations, as well as compliance with Feeding America’s Guidelines.
- Keep informed of the policies and procedures of SHFB, Feeding America, USDA, DHS, SNAP and government regulations pertaining to food handling, storage, sanitation and disposal.
Key lived experiences, attributes, and skill sets sought in the Impact and Strategy Director
- A passion for the mission of Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee.
- Demonstrated experience of effectively developing and executing strategies that have taken the organization to the next stage of growth, including strategic planning, program evaluation and management, and community collective impact.
- Nonprofit management, public policy analysis, and/or hunger/nutrition advocacy experience preferred.
- Creative problem-solver, able to think critically and utilize strong analytical skills to evaluate and improve program efficiency and lead strategic planning efforts.
- Self-motivated multitasker, with the ability to work independently and meet deadlines while managing multiple tasks and changing priorities.
- Strong communicator with proven success building internal and external relationships.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Willing and able to travel for the organization with short notice and occasional work evenings and weekends for special events.
Salary is commensurate with the budget of the Food Bank and is in the $75K range. Benefits include medical, dental, life, short and long-term disability insurance; 403(b) retirement plan; accrued vacation and sick time; and paid holidays.
Think you are the next Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee Impact and Strategy Director?
To apply, click on the link to the Impact and Strategy Director position profile at ArmstrongMcGuire.com/jobs. You will see instructions for uploading your compelling cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and professional references. Please provide all requested information to be considered. In case of any technical problems, contact [email protected]. No phone calls, please, and no applications will be accepted by email or directly from third-party posting sites.
Review of candidates will begin in July 2022 and continue until the position is filled.
Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates. Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.