Summary purpose of the job:
The National Catholic Reporter (NCR) is the only significant alternative Catholic voice that provides avenues for expression of diverse perspectives. The NCR is an independent news source with global interests, and although a large amount of its reporting deals with issues of the Catholic Church, an equal amount of its coverage is a marriage of the religious, political, and social forces shaping public policies and institutions. We are concerned for all people, and we are committed to shaping a world that recognizes the dignity of every human being, regardless of religious belief, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or other characteristics. Throughout our history, we have been a voice for the disadvantaged and the marginalized, and we have told the stories of injustice that others simply will not print.
The Major Gifts Officer will have a specific focus on developing major gifts, planned gifts, and foundation funding. This is a full-time position, working closely with the CEO and Development team, as well as interdepartmentally throughout the organization to achieve fundraising and development goals that fulfill NCR's mission. The position has the option to work remotely in the U.S. or the opportunity to work in person at NCR headquarters in midtown Kansas City, MO.
The Major Gifts Officer would be expected to:
- Manage a core of current and prospective donors, including cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, as well as research and identify individual prospects and groups of prospects for major gifts and planned giving.
- Have familiarity or experience with foundations whose giving interests match those of NCR; research foundation opportunities; work on the submission of proposals and reports according to funders’ requirements.
- Build strategies around the cultivation and solicitation of major donors and foundations that include a role for the CEO, as well as other members of the advancement team, board members and other key staff members.
- In coordination with the Development team, create short- and long-range tactical plans to ensure fundraising expectations are met.
- Articulate NCR’s mission, values, and needs clearly through informal and formal communications, including written proposals and brochures.
- Travel across the country up to ten days per month to build relationships and solicit significant donations.
- Work with the development team on other fund-raising campaigns, including the annual gifts effort.
- Assist with special events with key groups of donors and NCR staff.
The most suitable candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of three years fundraising experience
- Track record of success in securing major gifts and meeting fundraising goals
- Experience working with donors with significant capacity
- Experience working with Catholic donors and foundations
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Familiarity with private and public sector grant processes
- Familiarity with/aptitude to learn donor database software and moves management system
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Team-oriented, flexible, positive, personable outlook and willingness to learn
- Works well in a respectful, collaborative and inclusive environment
- Ability to self-motivate and work both independently and as part of a team
- Passion for social justice, human dignity and the common good – all core values of the National Catholic Reporter
- Appreciation for and understanding of the mission of the National Catholic Reporter.
- Appreciation for and understanding of news organizations and journalism
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly
This position carries full benefits, including generous paid time off and paid parental leave, and a salary commensurate with experience.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, résumé and a list of three references with contact information (and any other relevant materials) to [email protected].
All communications will be treated confidentially. The deadline to submit application materials is end of day Friday, February 17, 2023.
National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for its employees. Reasonable accommodations or exemption will be considered for medical-related or sincerely held religious objections.
The National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company is an equal opportunity employer, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.