Attorney for Agricultural Workers and Housing Law- Helena, Billings, or Missoula Montana
Join Montana Legal Services Association and make a difference. You’ll enjoy Montana’s outdoor lifestyle while representing those without a voice in our legal system.
MLSA is a progressive Montana non-profit law firm. We offer our attorneys challenging and fulfilling litigation work, a supportive and collegial work environment, a healthy work-life balance, and a generous benefits package.
Who We Are: MLSA is committed to the idea that equal justice under the law is a right, not a privilege. We are zealous advocates for Montanans who struggle to make ends meet and deserve their day in court.
- Our attorneys have pursued impact litigation all the way to Montana’s Supreme Court, helping level the playing field for all Montanans.
- We are nationally recognized for our forward-thinking approach to civil legal aid and for our use of technology to advance the cause of justice for all in Montana.
The Position: We’re looking for a Staff Attorney to be based in one of MLSA’s office locations: Helena, Billings, or Missoula. The Staff Attorney will provide poverty law services to clients who are agricultural workers and housing law services to low income clients.
- Represent agricultural workers across the state of Montana.
- Work in the area of poverty law and housing law
- Provide legal services ranging from brief counsel and advice, to full-scale representation and litigation.
- Participate in MLSA’s statewide initiatives and impact work, and implement grant and contract requirements through casework.
- A law degree and current license to practice law in Montana is preferred. We will consider applicants with the ability to waive in with a qualifying UBE score, or a willingness to take and pass the next Montana Bar Exam.
- Prior legal services experience is preferred, but a demonstrated commitment to social justice through volunteer activities and internships is valued.
- Overnight and day travel to surrounding communities is required as needed.
- Ability to speak and write in Spanish preferred.
The pay range we’re offering is $50,000 and up, depending on experience.
MLSA offers company-paid health, dental, vision and life insurance; an educational loan repayment assistance program; a 403(b) retirement plan; and eligibility for a health reimbursement or health savings account.
- We also offer a generous paid leave package, including annual, personal and sick leave, 12 holidays, and a wellness leave program.
- And if you move from another town in Montana to join us, we offer up to $500 for relocation reimbursement (or $1,000 if you move from out of state.
How to Apply: Email a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three professional references to [email protected]. The priority deadline for applications is April 30, 2021. The position will remain open until filled.
Visit our website to download a detailed job description and to learn more about MLSA, our staff, and the work we do.