The Greenwich Audubon Center in Greenwich, CT provides the opportunity to work in a day camp setting with children ages 11 to 14. Camp runs for seven weeks and campers spend time exploring local off-site natural areas as well as the meadows, ponds, and forests at the Audubon Center. Summer Camp Teacher Naturalists will work with the Camp Director and Audubon Education Specialists to develop lesson plans weekly camp themes including Ecology Adventures and Wilderness Survival. You will conduct daily hikes and other activities with a group of up to 20 children, while maintaining a safe, fun, and educational environment.
This position begins on June 17, 2019, and includes a week of staff training from June 17 to June 21. Summer Nature Day Camp begins on July 1 and ends on August 16. The daily work hours are 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. Additionally, all staff will be scheduled for two weeks of Early Drop Off and two weeks of Late Pick-up Extended Hours sessions from 8:30 a.m.-9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m., respectively. Each Tuesday all staff will be required to attend a staff meeting from 3:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. (day subject to change).
- Attend a week-long camp training led by Audubon Greenwich’s Education staff.
- Develop and implement seven weeks of ecology/nature-based curriculum.
- Teach a group of up to 20 children for day-long sessions.
- Provide a fun, educational experience for children during camp.
- Maintain the safety and well-being of all camp participants.
- Maintain a respectful and collegial team environment with fellow staff.
- Must be at least 25 years of age;
- Knowledge of local ecology and natural history.
- Ability to teach natural history concepts, as well as the desire to work outdoors and lead hikes.
- Experience working with children preferred.
- Strong oral communication skills, especially when speaking with camp parents and/or guardians.
- Ability to work well as part of the team.
- Must be able to commit to the entire period of work. This position begins on June 17, 2019 and ends on August 16, 2019.
- Must have current immunizations/medical forms; CPR and First Aid certification a plus.
- Must have a valid U.S. driver’s license.