Interested in serving military families? Armed Services YMCA may be the place for you to demonstrate your passion and skills.
The Armed Service YMCA of the USA’s (ASYMCA) mission and focus is the resiliency of military families and the challenges they face as they provide for the safety and security of our nation. ASYMCA seeks a skilled manager and progressive leader who has a passion for serving our active military.
The Executive Director will oversee and expand the development and execution of all programs and services at the Ft. Campbell, KY branch. The Executive Director designs new programs and services based on the needs of military members and their families, with the input of military base leadership. This position supervises all staff at the branches and works closely with the local Board of Management to develop and maintain the mission, vision, strategic plans, and goals of the branch and executes their implementation. The Executive Director is responsible for managing the budget and all financial reporting, leading the organization’s fundraising efforts, and ensuring the staff is accomplishing the organization’s goals and objectives. In addition, the Executive Director serves as the primary spokesperson for the branch and the liaison to other organizations and the community at large.
Executive Leadership and Administration
- Create goals and objectives annually in a strategic plan for local Board approval.
- Provide leadership to branch in developing and implementing strategic plans, short- and long-term goals, and organizational policies and procedures.
- Divide and assign work effectively, delegating appropriate levels of freedom and authority to staff, while maintaining oversight of branch operations. Any changes to approved organizational charts require local Board approval before implementation.
- Ensure branch is in line with National ASY policies and procedures and all new policies and procedures are implemented in a timely manner.
- Manage all branch staff and ensure mid-level supervisors are managing staff appropriately and effectively.
- Develop and enforce performance expectations for staff; ensure new hire and annual appraisals are completed and documented in staff files.
- Encourage staff development and education and ensure staff is meeting all education and work requirements outlined by regulatory agencies and/or the State (e.g., childcare positions).
- Ensure compliance with personnel and hiring policies and state and federal regulations on workplaces and employment.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse, quality staff.
- Provide training to branch staff that meets requirements of National Headquarters and State.
- Respond to all requests from National Headquarters in a timely manner; provide information as requested and ensure branch is meeting all deadlines.
- Notify National Headquarters of all incidents and issues as they occur.
- Ensure branch is adhering to risk management recommendations and guidelines.
Program Development and Fundraising
- Develop and execute programs and services based on the needs of the military community and resources available within approved annual budget.
- Work with the military leadership to determine needs of junior enlisted and their families and ensure the branch is providing services that meet these needs.
- Ensure that the branch has a long-range strategy that achieves the ASY mission and ensure steady progress toward this strategy.
- Promote and encourage volunteer participation in all areas of the organizations’ work.
- Evaluate programs and determine if they are consistently meeting the needs of the community and if they are operating efficiently and within budget.
- Develop yearly fundraising goals and events to ensure adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
- Work with the National Headquarters Director of Financial Development on fundraising goals and expectations, grant opportunities, and other opportunities for funding programs.
- Promote involvement of staff, local Board, other organizations, and the community in fundraising.
- Establish positive relationships with government, foundation, corporate, and individual donors.
- Establish positive and collaborative working relationships with local Board members to facilitate involvement in programs.
- Assist in training local Board members on roles.
- Cultivate relationships in the local community to develop a Board candidate recruitment pipeline, ensuring the Board has a broad range of experience and expertise.
- Attend all local Board, Executive Committee, and partner organization meetings.
- Provide support to Board committees.
- Provide appropriate, adequate, and timely information to the Board on branch practices, budget, programs, and issues/concerns.
- Ensure Board is kept informed on the condition of the branch and ASY as a whole and all factors that can influence or affect it.
- Encourage Board to fulfill its role and active participation with fundraising objectives.
- Serve as an effective spokesperson for the branch; represent the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, military and government officials, organizations, and the public.
- Establish positive working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
- Represent the organization in the business community by actively participating in civic groups, committees, and boards beneficial to the organization.
- Speak at various engagements to promote the organization.
- Attend social functions to promote the organization and to seek new opportunities beneficial to the mission of the organization.
- Promote positive relationships with military members and their families, donors, staff and volunteers.
Financial Management and Legal Compliance
- Ensure adequate control and accounting of all funds; monitor staff usage and handling of funds and hold final accountability of all monies collected and spent.
- Develop and maintain sound financial practices with the guidance of National Headquarters and under the supervision of the local Board.
- Prepare the annual branch budget in collaboration with staff, local Board, Finance Committee, and National Headquarters’ Controller, and obtain approval of the local Board. Ensure all documents are submitted timely and with the correct information to National Headquarters and the local Board.
- Approve expenditures within the limits of the Board of Management approved budget.
- Ensure the branch is operating within the budget and reporting guidelines provided by National Headquarters and the Board.
- Monitor the budget throughout each month to ensure adequate funds are available for the branch to carry out its work and that the branch is meeting the guidelines of the approved budget. Report monthly to the local Board on budget reports.
- Ensure that funds are disbursed in accordance with contract requirements and donor designations. Report to the Board on these matters in a timely manner.
- Maintain official records and documents and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and reporting requirements (e.g., annual information returns, payroll withholding and reporting, etc.)
- Execute legal documents appropriately and with the support of the local Board Chair on behalf of the Board; negotiate and administer all contracts related to the operations of the branch and its programs.
- Maintain effective working relationships with the National Headquarters Team.
- Proven track record in directing total operations through sound fiscal management; volunteer development; supervision and retention of staff; development and monitoring of budgets, marketing and public relations, and program development.
- Demonstrated experience in management and development of volunteer/partnership involvement; ability to recruit, develop and maintain positive relationships with top community leaders and organizations.
- Ten or more years of management experience, preferably in a YMCA or other nonprofit agency.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments in the community.