FHI 360 is a global development organization, with a rigorous, evidence-based approach to human development. Our team of professionals includes experts in health, nutrition, education, economic development, civil society, environment and research. FHI 360 operates from 70 offices with 4400 employees in the United States and around the world. Our commitment to partnerships at all levels and our multi-disciplinary approach allows us to have a lasting impact on the people, communities and countries we serve by improving the lives of millions of them. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Chief of Party (CoP) for an education project. This position will be based in Cairo, Egypt and is contingent upon award.
This project aims to support the Government of Egypt in strengthening teacher excellence at the primary school level through the design and adoption of an effective in-service continuous professional development (CPD) system aimed at enhancing educator knowledge and skills, particularly as they relate to effective curricula delivery. The project will also support the institutionalization of a professional development certification and incentive structure that recruits qualified candidates and promotes professional growth among educators and school leaders, enabling the in-service program to support overall teacher excellence.
The Chief of Party (CoP) is responsible for overall aspects of project implementation and performance, both technical and managerial. In close coordination with the Ministry of Education and Technical Education (MOETE), the CoP will serve as a major driver of reform within the in-service teacher education sector in Egypt. The CoP will also manage the Operations and Finance Managers and the technical team, with overall responsibility for overseeing coordination across results areas, coordination of decision making across key stakeholders, and supervision of partner organizations. S/he has overall responsibility for the development of the vision, strategy, and technical direction of the project. S/he leads planning and implementation of work plans to ensure quality results.
The CoP will have overall responsibility in the areas of technical quality, monitoring, evaluation, reporting, operations, administration, logistics, procurement, budgeting, financial accounting, and overall client satisfaction. Responsibilities include:
- Responsible for daily oversight and direction of project activities;
- Develop and maintain positive relations with MOETE officials and other government counterparts, USAID, local organizations and program partners;
- Build capacity of relevant institutions to ensure local ownership and sustainability of project activities;
- Communicate regularly with USAID to provide updates and progress reports;
- Oversee planning and implementation of project activities, including reporting, tracking of Performance Monitoring Plan, and implementation of the project work plan;
- Supervise project technical and operations teams;
- Supervise the recruitment, hiring, and supervision of all local staff and consultants.
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in the successful implementation of international development programs, preferably with USAID, including substantial experience in leading complex education reform and/or system designs projects at the pre-university level;
- Prior experience in the education sector in Egypt strongly preferred.
- Significant experience in teacher education, for pre-service or in-service levels (both preferred);
- Significant experience in educational policy and systemic reform;
- Thorough knowledge of international best practices/experiences in educators’
continuous professional development and educators’ certification and incentivization;
- Proven leadership in the administration of similar-sized international donor technical assistance projects;
- Demonstrated ability to work in complex environments, work across different cultures, and manage diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines;
- Ability to participate in all representation and technical meetings in English
- Strong oral and written communications in English and Arabic preferred.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.