Context: Sierra Club enforces environmental laws and targets the nation’s most pressing environmental issues through strategic legal advocacy at the federal, state, and local levels. Attorneys in the Environmental Law Program litigate cases in support of Sierra Club’s national campaigns. For more information, visit us at http://www.sierraclub.org/environmental law
Scope: Sierra Club is seeking an Associate Attorney to join its national legal team as a litigator for Sierra Club’s Environmental Law Program. Under the supervision of a Managing Attorney, the Associate Attorney would serve as a legal resource for Sierra Club campaigns; litigate environmental, energy, and transportation cases; help design and implement legal strategies; and coordinate with campaign staff, coalition partners, and outside counsel.
- Litigate key Sierra Club lawsuits, under the supervision of managing and senior staff attorneys; assume increasing litigation responsibilities including discovery management, witness handling, legal research and writing, and oral argument.
- Implement strategic, programmatic legal campaigns to support Sierra Club’s campaign objectives; help coordinate the litigation work of strategic legal campaigns; assume responsibility for relationships with staff, volunteer leaders, and outside counsel.
- Help evaluate proposed litigation to advise national volunteer and staff leadership on the scope of Sierra Club participation in legal actions.
- Help develop and plan programmatic litigation campaigns to support Sierra Club's portfolio of clean energy for all initiatives, including but not limited to Beyond Coal, Beyond Dirty Fuels, Ready for 100 and Clean Transportation, as the case may be; assist in drafting legal components of strategic plans and reports.
- Help develop and execute work in a manner that centers on and promotes equity, justice, and inclusion, and intentionally address the history of inequitable environmental and economic burdens carried by communities overburdened by air, water, and climate pollution.
- Analyze legal cases and trends for Sierra Club management and membership.
- Provide legal advice to Sierra Club membership; help Chapters and Groups with their local energy-related legal programs and objectives.
- Perform miscellaneous duties as directed.
- 0–3 years of experience as a practicing attorney.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal and consensus-building skills, including the ability to work collaboratively with clients and colleagues from diverse backgrounds
- Demonstration of a commitment to equity, inclusion, and justice.
- Knowledge of environmental or energy law.
- Passion for Sierra Club’s mission to enlist humanity to protect and restore the quality of the natural and human environment.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.