Position Description: Latino Union seeks a Day Laborer Organizer to facilitate a sustainable, impactful, worker-led program that builds power, organization, and resources for day laborers in Chicago. This is a program specifically for day laborers, usually men who seek temporary work in the construction, landscaping, and moving industries. This organizer will also coordinate efforts with the corner day laborer outreach organizer in the city and suburbs.
Location: Chicago and surrounding suburbs
Type: Full time with benefits
Language: Bilingual- English, Spanish
- Lead the mapping of suburban corner hiring sites by coordinating survey intakes, suburban contacts, member engagement in the project and liaison for researcher
- Conduct outreach and recruitment to day laborers in corner hiring sites and other spaces to grow participation & membership, identify organizing opportunities- developing strategies, organizing members to lead direct actions
- Work closely with Immigration Organizer in the creation and update of plans to protect corner hiring sites against ICE raids; lead know your rights around immigration at corner hiring sites
- Organize the workforce development and health and safety trainings which serve as organizing tools
- Use the hiring hall program to engage Latino Union’s base of Latinx and Black day laborer members in creating safe, living-wage jobs, growing as leaders, and building a larger movement for immigrants and workers rights
- Coordinate efforts and group of day laborers that fight against sexism and gender based violence
- Represent Latino Union in meetings and conferences with the National Day Laborer Organizing Network
- Work with Latino Union staff, members, board, and volunteers to support broader campaigns, programming, and coalition work in the immigrant worker rights movement
- Experience with worker/community organizing; day laborers or low-income, workers; basebulding and mobilization; participatory, culturally relevant, community-led programming
- Experience in facilitating groups of men and/or discussions around gender equity and/or gender based violence
- Ability to work varied hours depending on community needs, including evenings and weekends
- Driver’s license and reliable access to a vehicle
- Demonstrated commitment to social/economic justice
- Self motivated –proven ability to work independently
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, with the ability to interpret and translate
Paid vacation, sick days, leave
Horizontal decision making
Please send resume to [email protected] with “Day Laborer Organizer” in the subject line.
Latino Union is an equal opportunity employer to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, or marital status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.