Join Montana Legal Services Association and make a difference. You’ll enjoy Montana’s outdoor lifestyle while representing those without a voice in our legal system.
MLSA is a progressive Montana non-profit law firm. We offer our attorneys challenging and fulfilling litigation work, a supportive and collegial work environment, a healthy work-life balance, and a generous benefits package.
MLSA is an equal opportunity employer and we consider the diversity of our staff to be vital to our organization's success. We strongly encourage and welcome people of all cultures, races, educational backgrounds, life experiences, socio-economic classes, sexual orientations, ages, genders, and physical abilities to apply.
Who We Are: MLSA is committed to the idea that equal justice under the law is a right, not a privilege. We are zealous advocates for Montanans who struggle to make ends meet and deserve their day in court.
- Our attorneys have pursued impact litigation all the way to Montana’s Supreme Court, helping to level the playing field for all Montanans.
- Our attorneys work within Montana’s Tribal Courts.
- We are nationally recognized for our forward-thinking approach to civil legal aid and for our use of technology to advance the cause of justice for all in Montana.
The Position: We’re looking for a Staff Attorney to be based in MLSA’s Billings office. The pay range we’re offering is $50,000 and up, depending on experience.
- MLSA offers company-paid health, dental, vision and life insurance; an educational loan repayment assistance program; a 403(b) retirement plan; and eligibility for a health reimbursement or health savings account.
- We also offer a generous paid leave package, including annual, personal and sick leave, and a wellness leave program.
- And if you move from another town in Montana to join us, we offer up to $500 for relocation reimbursement (or $1,000 if you move from out of state).
The Location: You’ll be based in Montana’s largest city, Billings, known as “Montana’s Trailhead”. Enjoy easy access to Yellowstone National Park and great skiing near the small mountain town of Red Lodge. Over 40 miles of hiking and biking trails beckon just outside your door. Billings is also home to Montana’s only walkable Brewery District featuring six craft breweries, two distilleries and a cider house. MLSA’s office is located in the heart of downtown Billings within walking distance of great restaurants and bars.
Why Should You Apply?
- Live your values and put your law degree to work by representing people who deserve a voice in our legal system.
- Great benefits, generous leave, and competitive pay.
- Access to free CLE seminars and opportunities to attend national conferences and trainings.
- The chance to hone your litigation skills in a friendly and supportive work environment.
- Interviewing, meeting with, and advising victims of crime with civil legal matters.
- Developing and maintaining specialized knowledge of the legal needs of crime victims.
- Develop legal resources for use by victims of crime, advocates and pro bono attorneys.
- Provide legal services ranging from brief counsel and advice, to full-scale representation and litigation.
- Participate in MLSA’s statewide initiatives and impact work, and implement grant and contract requirements through casework.
- A law degree and current license to practice law in Montana is preferred. We will consider applicants with the ability to waive in with a qualifying UBE score, or a willingness to take and pass the next Montana Bar Exam.
- Prior legal services experience is preferred, but a demonstrated commitment to social justice through volunteer activities and internships is valued.
- Overnight and day travel to surrounding communities is required as needed.
Salary: $50,000 and up, DOE. MLSA offers an attractive benefits package, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, retirement and educational loan repayment assistance.
How to Apply: Email a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three professional references to [email protected]. Screening of applicants will begin immediately. The priority deadline for applications is December 1, 2020. The position will remain open until filled.