The CFT is the California affiliate of the AFT, AFL-CIO representing education workers in public and private schools and colleges, from early childhood through higher education.
The California Federation of Teachers seeks a Project Organizer located in northern California, to help support internal and external organizing in the state of California. The CFT currently represents school employees, certificated and classified, at every level of public and private education throughout California (pre-school and Head Start, K-12, community colleges, private higher education, and the University of California). The philosophy of the CFT is to develop capabilities and expertise at the local level. All staff are expected to work with the CFT leadership to facilitate a sense of organizational identiﬁcation and inclusiveness.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist and participate in the organizing of new locals into the CFT, and in the day-to-day work of member organizers and volunteers working on CFT organizing campaigns in California.
- Set up and oversee phone banks, Hustle campaigns, Zoom meetings and trainings and other volunteer organizing activities.
- Assess data and enter collection into a database.
- Organize and plan activities, and set priorities.
- A current California driver’s license and an insured vehicle in good driving condition.
There will be considerable travel around Northern California and occasionally within the state. Some long hours and weekend work will be necessary. The successful candidate will be expected to assist and participate in strategic planning with Locals, as well as in organizing campaigns of the Federation. Organizers are also expected to be effective public speakers, clear and lucid writers, and socially aware citizens of our society.
Qualiﬁcations and Experience:
- Public and private employee, or issue, organizing experience.
- Membership recruitment, or working on campaigns and elections.
- Experience in community, student, labor, or environmental activism is a plus.
- An understanding of education policy, especially in the state of California is desirable.
- The ability to work collaboratively with others, and motivate campaign staff, volunteers and teams of staff members.
- The ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and in a high-pressure environment.
$70,720.00 -- $85,961.00 (Steps 1-5 on a 6 Step schedule depending on qualiﬁcations and experience), plus full employee fringe beneﬁt package: health, dental and vision plans and retirement program.
Employment requires membership in the Project Organizer Union, which is represented by the Field Representative Union. CFT requires proof of vaccination as a condition of employment.