The Manager, Grants and Development Operations (MGDO) will manage our region’s public funding portfolio, build and support a best-in-class system of operations for the development team, and provide targeted support for development team members in a way that maximizes effectiveness and enables the team to reach its ambitious goal of raising approximately $6 million annually. The MGDO will report directly to the Managing Director, Development (MDD) and will work closely with the Director, Network Engagement (DNE) to support public funding campaigns.
We are looking for a natural self-starter with strong writing skills who excels in creating and maintaining organizational systems, and possesses a strong customer service ethic. To be successful, you must be able to organize, prioritize and track a large volume of projects and tasks; possess exceptional attention to detail and a high bar for quality; and be a critical thinker who displays sound judgment in prioritizing actions based on outcomes. The MGDO must be able to backwards plan complex projects and support on stellar, high-quality execution. You must be motivated by getting results through others, and have a passion for developing user-friendly systems of support and a vision for a best-in-class system of development operations.
Lead Development Team Operations (50%)
- Assume a proactive role in increasing the efficiency and organization of the Development Team and monitoring progress to fundraising goals
- Maintain a comprehensive fundraising database (Salesforce) that includes accurate donor information (background research, biography, giving history) and maintain meticulous donor records
- Design training resources and experiences that exemplify best practices in Salesforce usage, data management, and the creation of operational systems
- Help manage and effectively track the Development Team budget
- Prepare and support Development Team members to execute actions in line with their strategic and operational plans and monitor progress against plan (i.e., prepare meeting packets, toolkits, and mailings, track when tasks are completed, identify when tasks are overdue, etc.)
- Support the team in planning and running inspiring donor events and schools visits including: managing logistics and preparation; creating and compiling materials; and managing execution of follow-up activities
- Own cash collection systems and processes, including pledge reminders, quarterly cash targets and reconciliation in database and ensure timely gift processing and prompt acknowledgment of donations once secured
Public Funding Portfolio Management (30%)
- Develop high-quality proposals and invoices for funders in the public portfolio, including AmeriCorps, the Maryland State Department of Education, and our school district and university partnerships.
- Create and maintain a deadline-driven calendar of all activities related to public grants including: researching grant guidelines, submitting all grant materials on time, and following up as necessary
- Work closely with the MDD and DNE to ensure timely submission of and compliance with all requirements for our public funding streams
- Prioritize key actions for the DNE and Executive Director to take in cultivating, soliciting and stewarding public funders through meetings, events, and correspondence and prepare/support them to execute through research, meeting briefs, emails, and call blocks.
- Track public fundraising progress to goal, in part by managing accurate and up-to-date records and data on donors in Salesforce
Conduct Prospect Research and Data Analysis (10%)
- Conduct research to identify potential donors to add to region’s prospect list specifically looking for evidence of whether a prospect is mission-aligned, has capacity to contribute and whether there are existing connections we can leverage to get in front of the prospect
- Prepare tailored meeting briefs and materials based on research and analysis
Team Responsibilities (10%)
- Participate in regional and team activities, including high-stakes donor engagements, corps member orientation, corps member selection, staff meetings, team meetings and retreats
- Attend professional development conferences and experiences
- Minimum of 3-5 years work experience strongly preferred
- Highly organized with proven time management skills and experience creating efficient systems to juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Motivated by getting results, meeting ambitious deadlines and exceptionally detail-oriented
- Possesses a spirit of flexibility, a positive outlook and a strong customer service ethic
- Comfortable working on administrative projects, back-end operations and supporting the team to execute
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Critical thinker who displays good judgment in prioritizing problems to resolve and opportunities to pursue
- Exceptional personal responsibility for meeting goals and a track record of success
- Ability to operate with purpose, urgency, and accuracy in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Knowledge of MS Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel are preferred. Salesforce experience is an added bonus