This position is responsible for developing and executing a strategic communications and outreach plan that advances the mission and vision of NAFSCE and our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. The Director will be responsible for managing all external communication vehicles; supporting effective outreach to NAFSCE’s partners, funders, members, and stakeholders; and compelling their interest, support and engagement. They will effectively supervise and cultivate the professional growth of NAFSCE’s Senior Manager of Communications. This position will lead fund development efforts including managing a collaborative team effort in the identification, development and submission of grant proposals, as well as grant reports. This position will also be responsible for leading and executing a “spread and scale” strategy for NAFSCE programmatic initiatives in collaboration with NAFSCE’s Directors through various dissemination strategies, including media engagement. The Director will work closely with the Executive Director, providing counsel on a range of organization-wide priorities. The successful candidate’s exceptional writing skills will be evident through foundation and government grants developed, as well as op-ed and other writing which advances influence, supports mindset shifts, and galvanizes stakeholders. His/her commitment to teamwork, and support of a collaborative and results-oriented culture will reinforce NAFSCE’s core values and sustained growth.
- Develop and implement a multi-channel, integrated communications and marketing strategy focused on a “spread and scale” approach that increases awareness of and engagement with NAFSCE’s strategic initiatives.
- Engage with NAFSCE partner and stakeholder communications staff to support a synergistic effort to maximize dissemination efforts of NAFSCE strategic initiatives.
- Create and implement a strategy to use social media to advance strategic goals, develop and oversee staff in creating and distributing content and messaging via social media channels, and increase followers and engagement.
- In collaboration with staff across the organization, assist with the conception, production and successful release of multiple forms of content, including flagship reports, other research, blog posts, emails, and others.
- Collaborate with teams across the organization to amplify programs and projects.
- Provide strategic and tactical advice to staff to help them improve their written products.
- Manage the organization’s editorial calendar.
- Oversee the enhancement of NAFSCE’s brand, including the utilization of graphics, taglines, etc.
- Place, pitch, and publish various public media content, developing and maintaining relationships with relevant journalists, editors, and producers.
- Supervise the professional growth and increased responsibilities of NAFSCE’s Senior Manager of Communications as well as communications consultants and interns, when opportunities avail themselves, to increase overall communications capacity of the association.
- Participate in ongoing strategic conversations with the Executive Director and NAFSCE Board to advance the mission and vision of NAFSCE.
- Additional or adjusted responsibilities, as necessary, through the evolution of NAFSCE, and through ongoing conversations with the Executive Director.
- Research and identify sources of funding; maintain a prospect database.
- Oversee drafting of proposals for grants, grant reporting and case statements.
- Support the reporting requirements for funded grants, working closely with NAFSCE’s Executive Director.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Training and Engagement and the Senior Manager of Communications to develop and implement member recruitment and retention-related communications and outreach.
- Test innovative and creative membership concepts targeted at new audiences to grow the NAFSCE member base.
- Masters Degree in Communications or related field is preferred
- Experience working with families of low-income backgrounds, diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds and educational institutions
- Experience advancing early childhood and/or K-12 education issues preferred
- Minimum of at least seven years experience in a Director of Communications or similar position, including at least three directly supervising staff
- Grant writing experience
- Proficiency utilizing Microsoft Office and Communications software programs
- Other appropriate combination of academic and work experience
- A commitment to racial equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging, with an approach that values the individual and respects differences and builds networks
- Range starts at $95,000
- Employer contributed 401(k) Plan at 10% of salary (following probationary period)
- Short and Long-Term Disability coverage as well as Life Insurance
- Health (NAFSCE covers 80% of premium), Dental (NAFSCE covers 90% of premium) and Vision insurance
- Generous Vacation (New hires start with 15 days, increasing to 20 days) Sick and Personal Time Off (5 days)
- Paid Family Medical Leave benefits
- 7 paid holidays plus the holiday week
- Direct deposit payroll
All applicants must submit materials here: https://form.typeform.com/to/cYMKbrTn
*Applications that are missing a resume or cover letter may not be considered.