PSR’s Nuclear Weapons Abolition (NWA) program is currently working to advance three long-term goals:
1. Increasing popular support for policies aimed at reducing the nuclear weapons threat.
2. Working with Congress to halt new investments in destabilizing nuclear weapons programs.
3. Building a stronger health voice at the local, state and national levels in support of nuclear disarmament and the elimination of nuclear weapons entirely.
Grassroots Coordinator for our Nuclear Weapons Abolition (NWA) program reports to the NWA Program Director, and serves as a principal liaison between PSR’s national office and PSR chapters engaged in NWA-related activities. He/she provides them with technical assistance and training, with a special emphasis on coalition building at the local level, and on engaging with Congress. This individual will also serve as a liaison between PSR and our national partners on joint grassroots efforts. This is full-time position, but we may be flexible with regard to hours for highly qualified candidates.
- Assists the NWA Program Director in managing PSR participation (with a particular focus on PSR chapters) in national nuclear weapons disarmament/abolition campaigns.
- Assists chapters in their efforts to engage members of Congress, both in-district and in D.C. When feasible, facilitates and attends meetings with congressional staff.
- Assists PSR chapters to build coalitions with other local NGOs, including on intersectional issues.
- Works with our chapter network and our NGO partners to maintain a high level of collegiality and strategic coordination between them.
- Participates in the NWA Program planning process.
- Works with the NWA Program Director to design and deliver training to chapter staff and PSR activists across the country via in-person trainings, webinars, and conference calls.
- Coordinates with PSR’s Media Relations Manager in developing media tools and training materials for PSR members.
- Supports the NWA Program Director and the Media Relations Manager in creating a variety of communications, including action alerts, blogs, articles , and educational tools and materials geared to specific audiences.
- Works with PSR’s Media Relations Manager to develop and implement a social media strategy with an eye toward engaging young people in the nuclear weapons abolition movement.
Other Duties May Include:
- Representing PSR and speaking at coalition meetings and events sponsored by other NGOs or governments.
- Serving as PSR spokesperson to electronic and print media.
- Writing briefing papers, public and policy-maker educational materials.
- Providing capacity-building support, in coordination with the NWA Program Director and other national PSR staff.
- 2-3 years of relevant experience.
- Experience in organizing and/or in coordinating successful grassroots campaigns and coalitions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of legislative and policymaking processes.
- Experience in nuclear disarmament or related issues is desired, but not required. A strong candidate without such experience, but who expresses a strong interest in working on this issue, and with this community, will be considered.
- Experience with communications/media in a non-profit or policy setting is desired. Experience utilizing Twitter and other social media channels to make media contacts and engage influencers is a plus.
- Willingness to travel (10-15%).
- Strong interpersonal and team skills, with the ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Extraordinary attention to detail.
- A proven track record of effective project management and completion.
- Experience with WordPress is a plus.
- Passion for PSR’s mission.
- Highly disciplined and reliable.
- High degree of self-motivation with a proven ability to work with minimal supervision but also as part of a team.
- Ability to manage aggressive deadlines.
This is a full-time position. Salary commensurate with experience. PSR offers health benefits for. Office located two blocks from Blue/Orange Metro Line at McPherson Square or 3.5 blocks from Red Line Farragut North. Intellectually-stimulating workplace with passionate, dedicated colleagues.
Send a cover letter, salary expectations, resume, and references via email to [email protected]. In your application, we encourage you to highlight experience directly related to the qualifications outlined in the job description. Please specify “Grassroots Coordinator NWA” in the subject line of your email.
PSR is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status. We are committed to building a workplace where people from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive; minorities, individuals with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Job open until filled.
No telephone inquiries, please.