The Section Manager is responsible for the management of affairs of the Iowa Section American Water Works Association (Section). Reporting to the volunteer Board of Trustees (Board), the Section Manager supports the activities of the Board and its various committees. Taking strategic direction from the Board, the Section Manager serves as the primary point of contact for members, outside entities, and the American Water Works Association (Association), delivers the Section’s programs, maintains contact with its members, and represents the Section to current and potential members. The Section Manager will serve as the liaison between the Section and the Association.
Essential Job Functions: The Section Manager shall perform administrative services on behalf of the Section as follows and other duties that may be assigned:
- Provide general and best-management-practice in guiding and promoting the Section toward positive membership growth.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with the Board, Committee chairs, Region chairs, Section members, and industry peers.
- Maintain current list of officers and committee chairs and submit changes to the Association annually.
- Maintain the Iowa Section email addresses and postal address.
- Handle all phone and email inquiries from members, utilities, vendors, sponsors, etc.
- Maintain membership database and email lists and complete updates as information becomes available from the Association.
- Contact all new members to welcome them to the Iowa Section and provide them with a point of contact. Also contact any delinquent members.
- Establish and maintain constant communication with the Association officers and staff.
- Coordinate with the six Iowa Section Regions to ensure consistency with each other and the rest of the Section.
- Maintain applicable familiarity with all Section and Association policies, benefits, programs, etc., for the benefit of the Section and its membership.
- Maintain current awareness and knowledge of membership programs and initiatives of the Association and advise the Board.
- Assist in membership recruitment and retention efforts.
- Maintain the Section’s website, including upkeep of online calendar with events and trainings, Board/Committee member lists and contact information, and job posting board.
- Manage, actively update, and interact with the Section’s social media outlets.
- Record and maintain Section business conducted and maintain conference and training records.
- Attend Association’s Summer Workshop and/or Regional Meeting of Section Officers.
Financial: Assist the Iowa Section Secretary-Treasurer with the following:
- Submission of financial reports to the Association.
- Maintain financial records showing income and expenses.
- Process invoices in a timely manner.
- Collect information and papers for annual audit and tax return preparation.
- Assist with preliminary annual budget.
- Assist in handling and tracking all financial aspects of Annual Conference.
- Maintain records and reconcile financial accounts.
Board and Committee Assistance
- Draft itineraries, agenda, minutes, and other materials necessary for Board meetings, committee meetings, conferences and trainings, annual business meeting, etc. All draft meeting minutes shall be prepared and submitted within 30 days of the respective meeting, unless otherwise specified. An electronic and physical copy of the official final approved minutes shall be maintained.
- Update organizational chart and committee assignments annually.
- Attend all board meetings, and committee meetings if requested.
- Provide guidance to the Board regarding the contents & restrictions of the Section by-laws.
- Maintain the Board and committee policy manual and by-laws. Draft revisions as necessary and distribute to the Board and committee chairs for feedback and approval.
- Provide new Board member orientation.
- Assist committee chairs with promotion of their events and help with any materials needed.
- Provide Section news and/or updates for inclusion in the quarterly newsletter.
- Call for annual reports from the committees and share with the Board and Association.
Annual Conference, Short Courses, and RCAP/USDA Trainings
- Arrange, schedule, and attend Annual Conference and other trainings/courses.
- Prepare a proposed budget and provide appropriate accounting information for trainings.
- Coordinate facility rentals, A/V equipment, sleeping rooms, and meals/snacks.
- Manage speakers and provide speaker bios for training introductions.
- Coordinate vendor exhibit hall at the Annual Conference.
- Coordinate the Annual Conference banquet, including the program schedule and ordering awards/gifts for awardees and Association officers.
- Print/mail and post on website all registration and training information.
- Coordinate online registration and electronic payment, as well as mailed registration forms and checks, for trainings.
- Assist in preparation of registration packets for attendees.
- Conduct onsite registration and manage continuing education reporting forms.
- Attend recruitment/networking events during the Annual Conference.
- Assist Section Director, when requested, in hosting Association officers at the Annual Conference.
- Submit required documentation to the Association for RCAP/USDA trainings.
- Graduation from a four-year college with a degree in management, business administration, engineering, environmental science, or related curriculum with at least 3 years of administrative experience preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in the water profession desirable but not required.
- Strong skills in coordination, organization, and relationship building preferred.
- Willingness and ability to travel as required, including furnishing your own reliable vehicle.
- Residing or willing to relocate to Iowa.
- The Section Manager is expected to work 10 to 40 hours per week with an annual average of 20 hours per week.
- Travel and office expenses will be reimbursed.
- Compensation will be commensurate upon education and experience at $25,000 to $35,000 annually.
A complete application is a submission of a cover letter, resume, and three references in one document.