Self-Help is a leading national community development financial institution headquartered in Durham, NC. Since 1980, Self-Help has provided $8.5 billion in financing to 159,000 families, individuals and businesses. It helps drive economic development and strengthen communities by providing responsible financial services; lending to individuals, small businesses and nonprofits; developing real estate; and promoting fair financial practices across the nation. The Self-Help family of nonprofit organizations includes Self-Help Credit Union, Self-Help Federal Credit Union, Self-Help Ventures Fund and the Center for Responsible Lending. Through its credit union network, Self-Help serves over 150,000 people in North Carolina, California, Chicago, Florida and South Carolina. Learn more at www.self-help.org, www.self-helpfcu.org and www.responsiblelending.or...
Self-Help is seeking an Investment Associate to join our team in Oakland, CA. The Investment Associate is responsible for raising deposits to support Self-Help Federal Credit Union’s California lending. The Investment Associate will coordinate regional, state, and national campaigns targeting institutions and higher-wealth individuals looking to invest funds in a mission-aligned institution, and will enhance the deposit-raising efforts of our branch staff by providing training, strategic guidance, and implementation support.
The Investment Associate serves an important role in supporting the growth of Self-Help Federal Credit Union by coordinating all of our deposit-raising efforts in California, and connecting the organization to a broad range of socially responsible investors that live outside of our branch areas. This role is primarily focused on raising deposits and plays a key leadership role in coordinating and leading the strategies, communications, and outreach activities that constitute the deposit-raising function within the credit union.
- Develop and execute strategies for raising mission-aligned deposits directly from Socially Responsible and Impact Investors nationally, with particular emphasis on California by creating campaigns, conducting outreach, and leveraging existing relationships to ensure meeting annual deposit raising financial goals.
- Work effectively with other Self-Help colleagues on the Development, Policy and Impact team (particularly other Investor Relations Associates and those with deposit-raising responsibilities) to coordinate outreach, membership cultivation, and the development of marketing materials and more generalized messaging to external audiences.
- Directly develop, maintain and manage relationships with socially-responsible and mission-oriented investors, firms and their advisors.
- Manage Bank Enterprise Award (BEA) and Depository Trust Company (DTC)-eligible CD deposit programs and partnerships
- Develop and maintain relationships with high net worth individuals, mutual funds, nonprofit organizations, faith-based organizations, banks, businesses and others interested in community and socially-responsible investment.
- Prepare proposals that will answer impact, financial, and insurance-related questions from potential investors.
- Maintain dialogue/make regular contact with a selection of key investors to provide enhanced stewardship and gain a better understanding of the reasoning they have for opening or closing large deposits with us.
- Work cooperatively with Impact Reporting Manager and the operations teams to prepare reports and assess data regarding the inflow and outflow of deposits, as well as the impact of particular campaigns and outreach efforts
- Use team systems (i.e. Salesforce) to input and manage data used to track relevant cultivation targets
- Provide support to branch leadership throughout California’s 19 branches in formulating deposit-raising strategies and campaigns.
- Assist in training of branch personnel (both leadership and front-line staff) in regards to deposit raising and how best to promote the impact of our work to potential members/investors.
- Promote Self-Help and its credit unions in meetings, conferences and to the general public.
- Manage the annual deposit/marketing budget and vendor relationships to optimize sponsorship and advertising opportunities that will enhance our community outreach and deposit-raising efforts.
- Participate in other team and cross team projects, and perform other duties, as needed.
Credentials, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and at least 3 to 5 years of experience in community development, fundraising, sales, financial services or other related area with a preference for deposit raising experience. A graduate degree in a related field may be considered in lieu of work experience.
- Strong commitment to our mission – creating economic opportunity for traditionally underserved communities.
- Preference for working in organizations that place priority on teamwork and collaboration
- Commitment to social and economic justice.
- Sensitivity to issues of low-wealth communities and a desire to work in culturally and socially diverse organization that strongly values collaboration.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with potential investors and internal and external partners.
- Ability to provide the highest level of customer service and ability to provide detailed follow through.
- Knowledge of investment options available to individual and institutional investors.
- Ability to use social media to effectively communicate to key stakeholders.
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint as well as SalesForce or similar CRM programs.
- Sensitivity to low-wealth communities and a desire to work in a racially and socially diverse organization that strongly values collaboration.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work overtime as needed.
- Prior experience in financial planning, marketing or community development finance preferred.
- Knowledge of investment options available to individual and institutional investors and the SRI/impact investment field preferred.
- Experience with CRM platform or SalesForce preferred.
Frequently requires use of manual dexterity and repetitive motions, primarily with the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Must be able to occasionally lift and exert force of up to 40 pounds.
Competitive nonprofit compensation, based on experience, plus a generous benefits package.
This position will remain posted until filled. Visit our Careers Page to apply for this position: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/SEL1003SELF/JobBoard/2c3e9120-4a22-4d21-b...
Self-Help is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons, regardless of race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression (including transgender status), age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, class or family status.