About ICRW and ICRW Advisors:
The International Center for Research on Women (ICRW) has been the premier applied research institute focused on improving the status of women and girls for over four decades.
ICRW and its advisory practice, ICRW Advisors, apply an intersectional lens when working with partners and clients to understand, craft and execute impactful strategies, policies and initiatives that advance gender equity and social inclusion. Our focus is on evidence-informed, practical, actionable solutions.
With regional offices in Washington, DC, Delhi India and Nairobi Kenya, corporations, governments, and civil society organizations seek out ICRW to tap into its deep understanding of the evidence base surrounding women’s economic empowerment and livelihoods and ICRW Advisors’ special expertise in: (1) gender integration in supply chains, (2) gender-smart investing, (3) gender equity at work, and (4) purpose-driven brands.
The Senior Gender Advisor, Agribusiness and Economic Development will have a dual appointment to ICRW’s Gender, Economic Empowerment and Livelihoods research portfolio and to ICRW Advisors. A principal role of the incumbent will be to serve as ICRW’s senior representative on a new USAID-funded Global Development Alliance. This role presents a unique opportunity to work with a Fortune 500 company intent on improving the conditions of women farmers working in its supply chain, and to leverage as a thought partner expertise in integrating gender meaningfully and measurably in its global initiative. Potential countries of focus include Colombia, India, Pakistan, and Vietnam. The role will also serve as a Project Manager with the Advisors team, leading the day-to-day execution of client services, participating in business development, and developing new tools and resources.
As a senior member of the Research & Programs department, the Senior Gender Advisor, Agribusiness and Economic Development will have opportunities to work on other major research and advisory initiatives, including new work coming on line examining the impact of COVID-19 on women entrepreneurs in the informal sector. The role will also contribute to advisory services on the topics of: gender-smart investing; diversity, equity, and belonging in the workplace; purpose-driven brand initiatives; gender integration throughout various global corporate supply chains; and the impacts of COVID-19 on women’s work in the United States.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Supervises and delivers advisory services in coordination with other team members and partners to meet client needs for diagnostic research, program design and evaluation, and synthesis of knowledge to inform action.
- Design and integrate gender-sensitive approaches into agricultural supply chains, and lead measurement and gender analysis to generate evidence on effectiveness of applied approaches
- Fosters smooth and productive relationships with clients, and ensures on-time, on-budget, high-quality deliverables.
- Delegates work effectively and fosters teamwork, including contributing on-the-job feedback, training and coaching of junior team members, hiring and supervising consultants.
- Cultivates new business opportunities, preparing proposals and scopes of work for potential projects.
- Represents ICRW in the media and with colleague organizations.
Skills and Attributes for Success:
- Creative problem solver who can help clients implement innovative solutions for strengthening institutional and business practices regarding gender equity.
- Communicates information in an insightful and structured manner—orally, in writing, using presentations and graphics / data visualization for a variety of technical and non-technical audiences.
- Manages analyst(s) and supporting teammates effectively, providing clear project guidance, offering feedback to strengthen deliverables and inputs, and supporting junior colleague’s professional development.
- Uses qualitative and quantitative methods to assess client needs and diagnose strengths and gaps in organizational and business approaches.
- Designs research, monitoring, and evaluation approaches to rigorously test effectiveness of innovative gender integration strategies
- Team player who works collaboratively with professionals at different levels, including colleagues, clients and stakeholders.
- Scopes and budgets projects accurately, crafts proposals and pitches ideas to prospective clients.
- Effectively juggles multiple projects, including staffing, work plans, deliverables, timelines and budgets, along with maturity, diplomacy and independence to work effectively with clients.
- Fluent in English required; proficiency in French, Spanish or other languages preferred.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 30%, internationally and domestically (in post-COVID-19 environment).
Education, Experience and Expertise:
Master’s degree in Agriculture Economics, Social Entrepreneurship & Impact Investing, International Affairs, Political & Economic Development, Organizational Development, or another related discipline
Minimum eight years post-Master’s working in client-facing roles providing strategic advisory, research and/or technical assistance services to senior executives / officials in the private and public sector. The successful candidate will have experience applying gender equity and women’s empowerment frameworks and strategies to corporate social responsibility / sustainability initiatives, and/or improving business operations for women across the value chain.
Expertise preferred in one or more of ICRW’s thematic areas advancing inclusive, sustainable economic growth:
- Gender Equity in Supply Chains
- Diversity, Equity, and Belonging in the Workplace
- The Future of Work
- Financial Inclusion
- Gender-Smart Investing
Interested candidates are expected to submit a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples. Due to the large volume of responses we receive, ICRW is not able to provide candidacy status on an individual basis. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
ICRW is committed to promoting a culture of equity through our recruitment processes, staff training, policies & procedures, Board membership, and research programming. We believe that all people deserve an equal opportunity for employment, advancement, and fulfilment - regardless of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity & expression, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We are committed to expanding our definition for what diversity means, moving beyond the binaries, and setting new standards for ourselves and across sectors.
ICRW is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law, where applicable. ICRW is an E-Verify Employer.