OVERVIEW OF NXU
The Short Version: At nXu, we believe that it's not enough to teach kids academic skills; We owe it to them to help them identify and pursue their purpose in the world. We work with K-12 educators to support their work in developing their students' sense of purpose. We also work directly with high school and college students to articulate their purpose and map the path they will take to live their lives with purpose.
The Long Version: nXu is a national non-profit organization whose mission is to catalyze and equip youth and adults to explore, articulate, and pursue their purpose by developing social and emotional learning skills. Overseen by nationally recognized educators including the co-founders of Transcend Education, we have developed a research & evidence-based purpose development methodology, curriculum, and program model that can be deployed in-person, online, and on a blended basis. We offer a training program as well as a purpose development curriculum to schools, and we also directly implement programming both online and in person with students both in school and out of school.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
nXu is seeking an exceptional educator to serve as the Lead Compass Coach (i.e. lead facilitator and program manager) of nXu’s programming in San Antonio during the 2021-22 school year. The Lead Compass Coach will facilitate all of nXu’s student-facing purpose development programming and may also facilitate educator-facing programming. In the short term, this will consist of online delivery of our programming. Once the pandemic subsides, facilitation will occur both onsite at schools during the week (one or two days a week) and out of school, on select weeknights and weekend days. In addition, this team member will represent nXu in the greater San Antonio area, with partner organizations, potential funders, and other key constituents. This person will play a key role in recruiting students to participate in nXu’s out-of-school programming and in securing and cultivating partnerships with schools and organizations. Logistically, this individual will need to be available, on average, for approximately 5 to 15 hours per week.
The ideal Lead Compass Coach will not only possess excellent facilitation skills, but will also exhibit leadership and enthusiasm that inspires fellows, families, volunteers, and other members of the San Antonio community to invest in our mission.
This is a fast-paced, part-time, virtual and in person role. The point of contact for this person is Cat Lum, nXu’s Director of Programs. This person will also work closely with Yutaka Tamura, Executive Director of nXu, and Jabali Sawicki, Compass Director at nXu.
- Program Leadership and Facilitation: Lead nXu’s San Antonio and in-school and out-of-school programming (both online and, once the pandemic subsides, in person) and ensure that the programmatic implementation aligns with the organizational mission and vision. Drive participant learning and mastery of each practice and implement the centrally developed nXu program and curriculum. Ensure high quality experiences for students and volunteers.
- Culture Development: Cultivate and create a safe and exciting atmosphere for nXu participants to be curious and vulnerable during nXu programming.
- Participant Management: Ensure nXu participants are fully engaged throughout their programming experience. Support participants as they navigate their nXu experience before, during, and between sessions, including but not limited to maintaining contact with participants between sessions, reviewing feedback, and differentiating sessions to meet the needs of all participants.
- Participant Recruitment & Selection: Support the recruitment of students from district, charter, and private schools to participate in nXu’s programming.
- Partnership Management: With support from the nXu team, foster programmatic partners in San Antonio, especially with schools. As needed, facilitate adult-facing purpose development workshops.
- Program Representation: Serve as a positive representative of nXu within the San Antonio community.
- Other Duties: Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
The right candidate for this position must possess the following skills, traits, and experiences:
- Exceptional facilitation, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- The ability to exhibit high energy and to motivate and inspire youth, educators, and professionals;
- Belief in nXu’s mission and a passion for helping young people and professionals explore, articulate and pursue their purpose in life;
- The ability to create an inclusive and equitable program culture for all program participants;
- The ability to receive and implement feedback and coaching;
- Comfort in working with a remote team, often independently;
- A bachelor’s degree; and
- Current authorization to work in the United States secured by the first day of employment.
Ideally, the right candidate for this position would also possess the following skills, traits, and experiences:
- Experience working with and guiding a diverse array of youth and/ or adults;
- Entrepreneurial spirit and an ability to take ensure a meaningful experience for all participants; and
- Two years of experience in working with high school aged youth (teaching experience strongly preferred).
nXu offers competitive compensation for this consulting role.
nXu provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
Interested applicants should apply at the website below.