The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grant maker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world - particularly those led by lesbian and queer women, trans and gender non-conforming folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to challenge oppression and claim rights. A proud public foundation and one of the first women’s funds in the world, Astraea has granted over $46 million to LGBTQI activists and artists in our 43-year history.
POSITION DESCRIPTION – Full Time (35 hrs/wk with benefits)
The Senior Grants Manager leads Astraea’s grantmaking to LGBTQI organizations pursuing social change in the United States and internationally. The Senior Grants Manager leads the overall implementation of Astraea’s grantmaking cycles; manages and maintains the grants database and the application system; and supervises the Grants Management team. The Senior Grants Manager reports to Astraea’s Interim Co-Associate Directors of Programs and is based in Astraea’s New York office. *
* In response to public health guidelines concerning COVID-19, Astraea’s staff is currently working remotely. It is expected that they will continue working remotely at least through 2021. Staff will return to Astraea’s office when restrictions are lifted, and it is deemed safe to return.
Leading the Grantmaking Calendar:
- Guide and oversee the full lifecycle of Astraea’s 250+ core grants and 100+ non-core grants per year, including invitations to apply, due diligence, production of grant documents, payments, and final reporting.
- Develop, implement, and monitor effective grants tracking systems that are accessible and digestible for staff across teams.
- Schedule, implement and manage grantmaking cycles and grant approval processes.
- Work closely with Program Officers and coordinate with the Program Team on a number of issues, including political landscapes in different regions that affect NGO law and payment options; planning grantmaking portfolios; strategic discussions and coordination of multi-year and exit grants; fiscal sponsorship relationships; troubleshooting on grants; and more.
- Manage and maintain the grants database, including data integrity, maintenance and revision of templates, fields, searches, reports, user accounts, forms, and coding.
- Train staff (in Development, Communications, and Program Team) on how to use the database and maintain their skills.
- Manage the online application system, including editing and maintaining all forms across different Funds and languages.
- Receive periodic technical training from the software company on increased functionality and changes to the system.
Compliance and Grants Management Policies:
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for Astraea's grantmaking, ensuring compliance with federal and bilateral donor regulatory standards and grantmaking best practices.
- Create and maintain Astraea’s Grantmaking Manual and Policy Book.
- Keep updated on international grantmaking, compliance, and banking regulations and best practices.
- Manage and administer domestic and international donor-advised fund (DAF) grants by stewarding proposals, budgets, payments and compliance.
- Provide grants operations and management support to the International Trans Fund (ITF), including training all staff on grantmaking; supporting their due diligence; and approving all ITF payments.
Cross-Team Work and Troubleshooting:
- Provide grant information on a weekly basis to the Fiscal Team and participate in end-of-year reconciliation of all expenses.
- Review weekly payment submissions of all grants and ensure smooth payments by liaising with Fiscal and Program staff.
- Coordinate various special projects with other teams, such as annual grant testing for the yearly audit, creating schedules related to Astraea’s filing of 990 forms, and data analysis for the Communications Team related to their e-blasts and the Annual Report.
- Conduct data analysis to support Astraea’s Learning & Evaluation rubric.
- Conduct data analysis of Astraea’s grantmaking for internal and external stakeholders and support the preparation of Astraea’s dockets.
- Supervise, mentor and support professional development of Grants Management Associates; train and coordinate the work of Program Associates who work on grantee compliance, due diligence review, and grants administration. Support ongoing learning for all grant administrators.
- Participate in the Management Team at Astraea.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned from time to time, such as organizational strengthening activities; culture-change work; and staff-retreat planning and execution.
The ideal candidate for this position possesses most or all of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required. Advanced degree is a plus.
- At least four years’ experience with grants administration and management in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with tax rules governing public charities and grant makers; international grantmaking experience preferred.
- Experience providing support to grantee partners in difficult circumstances and completing compliance checks.
- Experience with grantmaking databases; Blackbaud Grantmaking experience is helpful.
- Fastidious attention to detail, with the ability to produce quality reports and manage data with accuracy.
- Proven project management, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills, with experience meeting tight deadlines.
- Ability to work and communicate with diverse audiences and multi-stakeholders, including grantee partners, coworkers, donors, colleague funders, and others.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a supportive team player.
- Flexible, adaptive work style suited to a high-volume, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in English required. Proficiency with other languages (specifically Spanish, French, Russian or Mandarin) is a strong plus.
- Passionate about Astraea’s mission and committed to social justice.
- Experience with LGBTQI, human rights and/or social justice non-profits and movements
Astraea offers a competitive salary and benefits for this position, including resources for professional development. The starting annual compensation is $80,000.00. U.S. work authorization is required.
Please send resume/CV and cover letter to [email protected] with “Senior Grants Manager” in the subject line or submit via the form on our website by March 17th, 2021. No phone calls please. Only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment. We strongly encourage all to apply (including people of color; lesbian; bisexual; queer; trans and gender non-conforming people; intersex people; and people with disabilities). If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the application and interview process, please express that with your cover letter and resume submission.
For more information visit www.astraeafoundation.org.