WHO WE ARE
Since 1981, Families USA Foundation has been a leading national voice for health care consumers. Through our long-standing relationships of consumer leaders, advocates, and partner organizations across all 50 states and the District of Columbia, we have remained steadfast in our mission – Dedicated to the achievement of high-quality, affordable healthcare and improved health for all. We advance our mission through public policy analysis, advocacy, and collaboration with partners to promote a patient-and community-centered health system.
The Senior Director of Communications will lead, develop and oversee the implementation of a comprehensive and effective internal and external coordinated communications plan designed to help the organization reach its policy goals for diverse audiences in a complex environment. This person should have the ability to bridge Families USA’s goals with the messaging of a dynamic media cycle using a digital-first strategy – including elements related to traditional media, social media, website oversight, CRM database, all content development (including editing and designing), message development, marketing and branding. The Senior Director will collaborate with teams across the organization to lead and execute innovative strategies aimed at driving and responding rapidly in the daily news media cycle. As a contributing member of the senior leadership team, this person will work collaboratively with the team to help develop, oversee, and execute on the overall success of the organization as well as oversee multiple projects and project teams.
Main job responsibilities:
- Proactively create and lead organization’s communications strategy and produce timely deliverables.
- Develop long-term communications strategies, including developing and identifying messaging opportunities, and recognizing possible partnership opportunities that are rooted in organizational impact and tailored to audiences according to organizational theory of change and action.
- Oversee and steward multiple project teams, including: envisioning highly impactful projects; developing project plans, key milestones and deliverables; adapting such plans, and assisting project teams to troubleshoot.
- Lead and execute on the organization’s social media, website, ¬¬and digital content plan to promote the organization, mission and its work ensuring that content is accurate, on message, vetted properly through correct appropriate staff, and in keeping with our tone/brand for each channel.
- Oversee editorial and content strategy and marketing efforts for the organization through planning, spotting/diagnosing emerging internal/external trends, triaging priorities and unexpected needs for content production and messaging, and spotting opportunities for content creation where there are gaps.
- Lead the organization’s earned media work, including the creation and oversight of the execution of earned media plans, overseeing the cultivation of media relationships, and the development and execution of media events.
- Oversee the design and maintenance of Families USA’s visual brand, managing the design team, including but not limited to design freelancers, editors, and other independent contractors.
- Oversee staff and work product of the Storytelling Initiatives Program, intake and dissemination of stories across a wide variety of earned and owned media channels.
- Oversee the communications budget, developing clear, coordinated processes for the execution of department responsibilities.
- Provide leadership and direction to department staff, including: establish priorities, coach and mentor, motivate, empower, evaluate, and identify opportunities for professional development and growth.
- Collaborate with the Fundraising Department on grants, as appropriate.
This is one of the most senior-level positions at Families USA. Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing or a related field. 10+ years’ working experience managing communications strategy development, preferably in a nonprofit or advocacy environment. Experience working with or for the federal Administration, Capitol Hill, and/or on advocacy campaigns preferred. Content strategy experience across a variety of advocacy or nonprofit organizations. A passion for social justice and for the mission of Families USA.
We offer a dynamic, empowering, and collaborative work environment that allows staff to reach their full potential. We offer an extremely attractive total compensation package, including competitive salary, medical, dental, vision, disability and life, 403(b), 3+ weeks’ vacation, nine (9) Federal holidays and our offices are closed between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day and many more exciting benefit programs.
We encourage qualified candidates to apply online at Families USA’s careers website and include in your application: your cover letter, resume and writing sample. Cover letter and resume will also be used as writing samples. Direct hire only – no recruiters. EEO. https://familiesusa.org/job-career/senior-director-communications/