The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Foundation of Florida seeks a Media Strategist. The Media Strategist works closely with the Deputy Communications Director, Media Strategy to achieve the organization’s goal of protecting the liberties that define our democracy. This position is located in the organization’s Tampa office, but includes some travel.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Florida is an affiliate of the national ACLU, a national public interest organization devoted to the defense of the Bill of Rights. For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has served as the nation’s primary protector of the liberties that define our democracy. The organization implements its vital civil liberties mission in all 50 states in large part through affiliate entities such as the ACLU of Florida. Operating out of four offices—Miami (main), Tampa, Pensacola, and Jacksonville—the Florida affiliate has a budget of over $7 million and 44 staff members, placing it among the larger ACLU affiliates in the nation.
The ACLU of Florida, the state’s largest civil rights and civil liberties organization, employs litigation, public policy advocacy, and public education to protect and promote a broad range of constitutional values and individual rights, such as freedom of speech, racial justice, right to privacy, religious liberty, criminal justice reform, voting rights, reproductive rights, LGBT rights, disability rights, and immigrants’ rights. The ACLU of Florida litigates a broad range of complex constitutional cases in federal and state courts through direct representation, filing amicus briefs, and submitting administrative complaints to state and federal agencies.
The Media Strategist is a staff position within the Affiliate’s Communications Department. The position reports to the Communications Director and Deputy Communications Director, Media Strategy. The ACLU of Florida’s Communications Department leads the media and digital communications for the organization. The department works to drive conversations around civil rights and civil liberties and enhance public understanding and support for our issues. We accomplish this by working with high-impact media, launching multimedia advocacy campaigns, releasing reports and research, and running the organization’s websites and digital channels.
The ACLU of Florida seeks a dynamic Media Strategist to join its communications team. We’re looking for candidates with a keen sense of how media works, strong writing skills, and a deep understanding of social justice issues.
- Develop and execute communications strategies and tactics for a broad range of projects, campaigns, and litigation efforts;
- Pitch stories and interviews, respond to incoming media requests; build relationships with press;
- Draft press materials, including press releases, advisories, blog posts, op-eds, reports and public education materials;
- Respond quickly to breaking news and inquiries, including occasionally after hours and on weekends;
- Provide press support, including preparing spokespeople for interviews, creating talking points and setting up interviews;
- Build and maintain press lists;
- Plan and manage press conferences and media events; and
- Assist the Communications Department with other tasks, including writing and research as needed.
While no one person will have all the qualities enumerated below, the successful candidate will bring many of the following qualifications and attributes:
• A profound and well-articulated commitment to civil liberties and social justice;
• At least 2-4 years of experience in journalism, public relations, or nonprofit communications;
• Strong news judgement and a demonstrated ability in securing media coverage and cultivating relationships with journalists;
• An understanding of digital communications tools, including social media
• Excellent writing and editing skills, with the ability to translate complex legal material into accurate, accessible, and compelling messaging;
• Ability to work effectively across multiple issue areas;
• The ability to thrive under deadline pressures; and
• A diplomatic touch and a sense of humor.
• Fluency in Spanish or Kreyol preferred, but not required.
• Unwavering commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU, including a demonstrated commitment to equity and racial justice.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, within the range of $52,000 - $70,000. The ACLU of Florida provides excellent benefits, including health and dental insurance with generous vacation, holiday and sick leave policies, as well as a Defined Contribution 401K Retirement Plan.
Please send cover letter and resume by email to [email protected]. All inquiries should include Media Strategist in the subject line and all attachments should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please indicate where you learned of this job posting. No phone calls, please.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU of Florida reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU of Florida is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Florida encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. We encourage formerly incarcerated individuals to apply. If selected for an interview, please inquire if financial assistance is needed in order to attend.
The ACLU of Florida undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. Fluency in Spanish or Kreyol is preferred but not required.