Position: Vice President, Communications
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Exempt, Full-time
Reports to: Executive Director
Launched in 2019, Accountable.US is a nonpartisan watchdog group exposing corruption across all levels of government. Accountable.US seeks a Vice President of Communications to advance Accountable.US’s external communications goals and represent the organization in the press. The Vice President will be responsible for working alongside the senior leadership and Directors of Accountable.US’s campaigns to develop and implement a comprehensive external communications strategy and manage special projects when necessary. They will serve as an on-the-record spokesperson for Accountable.US.
The position is based in Washington, D.C., though research projects may include travel on occasion. Some weekend work may be required. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. A flexible personality, sense of humor, and positive attitude are important.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Develop and update strategic communications plans for Accountable.US campaigns as directed by organizational leadership;
- Identify rapid response and other communications opportunities for Accountable.US;
- Act as thought-partner to leadership in developing creative earned and paid media campaigns and tactics;
- Serve as an on-the-record spokesperson for Accountable.US in interviews (print, radio, and TV) press releases, etc. when necessary;
- Manage the drafting of messaging and press materials for Accountable.US work and build consensus among Accountable.US leadership on materials;
- Work with communications consultants as needed;
- Provide additional communications capacity to projects and leverage media contacts when asked;
- Serve as project director and spokesperson on one-off, stand-alone campaigns;
- Prepare regular updates for managers; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- 10 years experience in issue advocacy communications or research;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience managing multi-layered projects, staff and consultants;
- Comfort with serving as an on-the-record spokesperson in national print, radio, and television;
- Ability to juggle competing priorities and deadlines;
- Proven track record for being a self-starter;
- Knowledge of transparency and government relations and background in issue advocacy preferred;
- Experience working with research systems and structures;
- Exceptional communicator; and
- Extremely well-organized, detail-oriented and analytical.
Send cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “VP Communications” in subject line.
Accountable.US is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.