EVHybridNoire is seeking a National Communications Manager to lead our work to shift the narrative around e-mobility to be more inclusive of diverse populations, and help promote our work. We are looking for candidates with experience leading winning communications and/or marketing campaigns targeting diverse constituencies. Qualified candidates will be deeply committed to equity and justice, and have at least some understanding of how those issues intersect with transportation. This position is a great opportunity for an entrepreneurial individual to join a small but quickly growing team, take on a lot of responsibility from Day 1, and make a difference in advancing equitable access to electric vehicles across the country.
EVHybridNoire is the nation’s largest network of diverse electric vehicle drivers and enthusiasts. An organization with a passionate and dedicated team, our mission is to advance EVs and other “e-mobility” solutions--and ensure those solutions are inclusive and equitable. We engage with communities often left out of e-mobility discussions, advocate for e-mobility solutions in underserved communities, and shift the narrative about e-mobility to be more inclusive of diverse populations. Specifically, our work involves a mix of grassroots engagement, media outreach, research, speaking engagements, and advocacy and decision-maker education. That work spans many aspects of e-mobility and equity, including climate justice, workforce development, public health, multimodal mobility and creative financing of e-mobility solutions. We’re currently focused on growing our organization to meet expanding demand for our advocacy efforts and thought leadership.
A typical day in your role might look like: drafting a press release to respond to an important announcement from the White House on EVs; preparing a fellow EVHybridNoire team member for a media interview; meeting with a local community-based organization to co-develop a communications plan in their area; and checking in on our progress toward hitting our monthly goals for traditional media hits or social media impressions.
In the role, you’ll be responsible for:
- Leading the development of an overarching organizational communications strategy, as well as messaging and communications plans for individual campaigns, and annual and quarterly goals and metrics for our communications work
- Drafting op-eds, blog posts, press releases and other externally-facing written work
- Regularly reviewing and editing externally-facing written communications, digital communications and presentations to ensure high quality and consistency of message and brand
- Acting as a spokesperson for our organization with the media and key stakeholders
- Training, coaching, and supporting team members regarding their presentation skills, and helping team members prepare for media interviews and other speaking engagements
- Pitching story ideas and written pieces to both traditional and ‘new’ media outlets
- Planning and managing online and offline press events
- Building and nurturing working relationships with traditional media outlets as well as bloggers, influencers and other communication leaders in our space
- Provide support to community-based organizations and other partner groups on their involvement in aligned communications campaigns
- Collaborating with team members to manage our organization’s email and social media accounts (Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and Twitter to start), creating and disseminating a monthly newsletter, and ensuring regular website content updates
- Staying abreast of the latest best practices in communication strategies and technologies, and implementing those best practices into our work
- Drafting updates on our communications work for internal and external audiences
Key Skills & Experience
We’re seeking candidates who can connect well with diverse audiences, have strong project management skills, and thrive in a start-up environment. You should have:
- At least 5-7 years of experience in a role that included significant communications work
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and superb attention to detail
- A knack for editing others’ writing
- Familiarity with transportation electrification broadly
- Passion for seeking equity and justice, and appreciation for how e-mobility intersects with issues of equity, diversity and justice
- Experience applying an equity lens to public communications work
- Experience working with traditional and new media outlets
- Comfort with and experience in learning new issue areas quickly
- An understanding of best practices for online outreach via social media and email
- Experience developing metrics for communications work, and adjusting outreach efforts accordingly
- An entrepreneurial and self-driven approach to problem solving
- A proven ability to juggle and complete multiple tasks with minimal supervision, ideally in a remote working environment
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Staff management experience
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
- Experience with Sprout Social
- Experience with paid advertising campaigns
- Experience creating compelling online content for social media
- Experience, including lived experience, applying an equity lens to transportation advocacy and campaigns
If you meet a majority of but not all of the criteria for this position, but you think you'd be a great fit in this role, please get in touch.
US; Remote. When convening in person is safe and COVID-19 travel guidelines are updated accordingly, occasional travel to represent EVHybridNoire at key stakeholder meetings and events will be expected.
Salary & Benefits
Depending on experience (including unpaid and other experiences) and capacity to take on responsibility, the salary range is $85,000 - $100,000.
EVHybridNoire is committed to creating a workplace that supports our staff to do their best work and develop professionally. This position will have the following in place to help us achieve that:
- Retirement benefits
- Paid vacation and paid holidays
- Coaching and management support with regular 1:1 meetings
- Performance reviews and feedback to support you and the team to reflect and grow
- A co-developed initial 3 month work plan to help you hit the ground running and have clarity on your role and responsibilities.
EVHybridNoire is an equal opportunity employer with a justice-centered mission, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color to apply for open positions.
How to Apply
Applications close on May 10, 11:59 PM PT.