Mid-Atlantic & Southeast Program Manager
EVHybridNoire is seeking a Mid-Atlantic & Southeast Program Manager to lead our state and local policy and program work across the Mid-Atlantic and Southeastern regions of the U.S. We are looking for candidates with experience and interest in all aspects of e-mobility and transportation advocacy, with skills in communications and public outreach. Qualified candidates will be deeply committed to equity and justice, and have at least some understanding of how those issues intersect with transportation. This position is a great opportunity for an entrepreneurial individual to join a small but quickly growing team, take on a lot of responsibility from Day 1, and make a difference in advancing access to electric vehicles across the country.
EVHybridNoire is the nation’s largest network of diverse electric vehicle drivers and enthusiasts. An organization with a passionate and dedicated team, our mission is to advance EVs and other “e-mobility” solutions--and ensure those solutions are inclusive and equitable. We engage with communities often left out of e-mobility discussions, advocate for e-mobility solutions in underserved communities, and shift the narrative about e-mobility to be more inclusive of diverse populations. Specifically, our work involves a mix of grassroots engagement, media outreach, research, speaking engagements, and advocacy and decision-maker education. That work spans many aspects of e-mobility and equity, including climate justice, workforce development, public health, multimodal mobility and creative financing of e-mobility solutions. We’re currently focused on growing our organization to meet expanding demand for our advocacy efforts and thought leadership.
A typical day in your role might look like: meeting with a coalition of environmental justice groups in Georgia to draft a campaign plan for expanding access to EVs, drafting a press release to react to a big announcement from Orlando’s City Council on electric buses, going back and forth with a legislative staffer in Virginia regarding amendment language to a transportation bill, and helping to facilitate a focus group with Black and LatinX community leaders in Raleigh regarding their opinions, knowledge and beliefs around transportation and e-mobility.
In the role, you’ll be responsible for:
- Coordinating the development and implementation of multiple e-mobility project and campaign plans in several different cities and states
- Representing EVHybridNoire at coalition tables, conferences and in meetings with policymakers and partners, and advocating for EVHybridNoire’s priorities
- Helping to facilitate public outreach efforts, including focus groups and listening sessions with target audiences, to understand public awareness and attitudes around e-mobility
- Drafting and submitting opinion pieces, research summaries and action alerts to media outlets, online forums and EVHybridNoire’s citizen members
- Keeping abreast of policy and e-mobility market developments in multiple states, to help ensure we direct our resources toward where they are most needed and can have the biggest impact
- Collaborating with our team, as well as with our partners and decision-maker contacts, to develop policy proposals that advance EVHybridNoire’s priorities
- Building and nurturing working relationships with decision-makers, advocacy partners and opinion leaders in the e-mobility space
- Drafting updates and reports on our work for internal and external audiences
Key Skills & Experience
At least 5-7 years of related experience in environmental justice, climate or clean energy policy and advocacy, transportation, urban planning or a similar field.*
- Knowledge of transportation electrification broadly
- Passion for seeking equity and justice, and appreciation for how e-mobility intersects with issues of equity, diversity and justice
- An understanding of policy-making processes broadly, and the ability to think strategically about how to navigate those processes
- Familiarity with the political and cultural landscape of the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast, and existing relationships in the regions within the transportation and equity arenas
- Experience in communications and/or grassroots public outreach work, including experience facilitating focus groups and other stakeholder meetings
- Strong interpersonal skills for coalition-building and advocacy
- Experience coordinating and owning whole portfolios of work such as policy initiatives, campaigns, or advocacy plans
- A proven ability to juggle and complete multiple tasks with minimal supervision, ideally in a remote working environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a great attention to detail
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Staff management experience
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
- Experience, including lived experience, applying an equity lens to transportation advocacy and campaigns
*We recognize experience that is volunteer, unpaid or lived experience. If you meet a majority of but not all of the criteria for this position, but you think you'd be a great fit in this role, please get in touch.
US; Remote. This role can be based anywhere in Maryland, Virginia, Washington, D.C., North Carolina, Georgia or Florida. When convening in person is safe and COVID-19 travel guidelines are updated accordingly, occasional travel to represent EVHybridNoire at key stakeholder meetings and events will be expected.
Salary & Benefits
Depending on experience (including unpaid and other experiences) and capacity to take on responsibility, the salary range is $70,000 - $85,000.
EVHybridNoire is committed to creating a workplace that supports our staff to do their best work and develop professionally. This position will have the following in place to help us achieve that:
- Retirement benefits
- Paid vacation and paid holidays
- Coaching and management support with regular 1:1 meetings
- Performance reviews and feedback to support you and the team to reflect and grow
- A co-developed initial 3 month work plan to help you hit the ground running and have clarity on your role and responsibilities.
EVHybridNoire is an equal opportunity employer with a justice-centered mission, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color to apply for open positions.
How to Apply
Applications close on May 10, 11:59 PM PT.