Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for leading Adaptive Sports Northwest’s (ASNW’s) staff, programs, fundraising, expansion, and execution of its mission. They will initially assess and develop deep knowledge of existing programs, operations, and business plans while creating and implementing a strategic plan and fundraising campaign to support operational growth and program expansion. The ED will oversee the activities of the entire staff, and directly manage and evaluate the Program Managers, Development Directors, and support staff. This is an exciting opportunity to lead and expand ASNW’s mission to the next phase of growth and impact to the adaptive community. You will work alongside a passionate team of staff, volunteers and committed Board members while also being accountable to grow and lead the organization.
- Develop and implement fundraising campaign that is aligned with strategic plan and financial and program growth targets.
- Represent ASNW in all fundraising and public events.
- Plan, organize and direct staff in all development activities, including, but not limited to: major donors, grant writing, annual appeals, corporate giving, crowd funding and social media funding campaigns, planned giving, special events, capital campaigns and in-kind donations.
- Cultivate and expand long-term strategic partnerships with existing ASNW stakeholders and key partnership targets.
- Establish and maintain strategic partnerships with identified organizations that will help in growing the mission and programs of ANSW’s mission.
- In coordination with Board and staff support, develop donor targets lists and outreach plans.
- Supports the growth of the organization through relationship building, partnerships, coach and athlete development, while supporting disability, diversity, equity, and inclusion in decision-making and long-term planning.
Business / Financial Management
- Provide oversight and management of key financials including budget, expenditures, revenue tracking and forecasting.
- Develop and manage annual organizational budget
- Track all incoming and outgoing funds.
- Develop key performance metrics to support Monitoring and Evaluation and impact indicators.
- Create, implement and manage detailed organizational budgets.
- Provide activity reports and financial statements to determine progress in attaining financial and impact objectives.
- Oversee annual financial reviews and/or audits.
- Regularly communicate with the Board treasurer on financials, while managing cash flows and investment funds.
- Manage and develop operational, employment, and program policies designed to improve service with customers, employees, volunteers, donors and the community.
- Provide positive senior leadership for the organization and staff.
- Evaluate the performance of directors and staff based on ASNW employment policies
- Track staff performance and provide annual evaluations and compensation agreements.
- Provide regular communication and scheduled meetings with staff.
- Regularly review and manage employment policies and professional development plans.
- Strategic Planning
- Review and assess key strategic objectives of ASNW existing plans and future needs.
- Lead the development of a strategic plan and budget that aligns with operational, funding, impact and program growth objectives.
- Develop framework for tracking and communicating progress of plan.
- Plan and implement steps to reach short and long-range program and development goals.
- Board Management
- Organize board meetings including briefing documents, financial reports and updates to strategic plan.
- Work with Board members to achieve specific outcomes and objectives
- Provide Board with organizational updates and issues.
- Cultivate and develop new Board members with focus on fundraising and networks.
Marketing and Outreach
- Serve as the spokesperson and public champion of ASNW’s mission.
- Manage fundraising events and annual banquet with support staff.
- Prepare and deliver fundraising (pitch) presentations to prospective donors and sponsors.
- Revise, oversee and support ASNW’s communications plan including but not limited to: website, social media strategy and supporting marketing collateral.
- Provide quotes and oversee press releases for print and broadcast media.
- Promote ASNW as a leader in the adaptive sports and recreation communities.
- Oversee marketing and PR plans to support outreach and brand development
Education and Experience
- Prefer Bachelor’s degree in business administration, nonprofit management, or a closely-related field
- Minimum 5 years of experience preferably in the nonprofit industry with focus on fundraising and operational growth. Consideration will also be made for candidates with private sector experience that are looking to transition to a non-profit.
- Three or more years of senior-level management experience.
- Prefer experience within the disability communities
Required Demonstrated Experience in:
- Fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to the nonprofit sector.
- An organization’s planning, delegating, program development and multi-tasking.
- Budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting.
- Conveying an organization’s vision and strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors.
- Using networking skills to create new and maintain current relationships.
- Collaborating with and motivating board members and other volunteers.
- Producing professional written and oral communication documents and presentations.
- Interfacing and engaging a diverse volunteer and donor group.
- Overseeing and collaborating with staff to meet objectives.
- Using public speaking abilities to persuade and engage potential members, partners and supporters.
- Using the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel) and QuickBooks to communicate, produce documents and to run reports
- Understanding of adaptive sports/recreation programming
- General interest in recreational and competitive adaptive sports programs.
- Knowledge of current best practice related to disability language and etiquette. Knowledge of disability communities, access and inclusion including the American’s With Disabilities Act.
- Empathy, compassion, and a desire to be an advocate for increased wellness and quality of life for people with disabilities through adaptive sports and fitness
- Broad knowledge of adaptive sports programs
- Direct experience with adaptive sports/recreation
- Commonly required to work weekends and evenings, with some independent regional travel.
- Access to a vehicle/transportation to meetings and events.
- Accommodations may be made based on need
- Base salary plus stipend towards purchase of medical, dental and vision coverage.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Salary: $60,000.00 to $70,000.00/year depending on experience
If interested in applying, please send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to [email protected] no later than September 30, 2022.