Position Title: Financial Analyst (A3)
Reports to: Controller, also works closely with CFO and Program Managers
Location: Portland, OR
Posting Date: July 13, 2021
Application Deadline: July 28, 2021
Anticipated Start Date: August 31, 2021
The Financial Analyst is responsible for all contract and grant financial reporting and accounting, and supports staff in developing and managing budgets. The Analyst oversees various activities related to month-end close and the annual audit, including requirements related to state and federal regulations (e.g. OMB’s Uniform Guidance), providing daily support for financial systems and other business applications. The role serves as collaborator between the Finance Team and other Ecotrust staff using financial software systems to design and implement necessary budgeting and accounting solutions.
- Interpret provisions in grant and contract documents relating to payment terms, billing, and revenue recognition; Collaborate with budget and program managers and the Development team to set-up these projects within the accounting and budgeting software.
- Manage the Accounts Receivable cycle for Ecotrust grants and contracts, working with program staff and funders/clients to resolve any payment delays. This includes ensuring expenses and revenue are recorded accurately and in compliance with the project terms.
- Collaborate with program and budget managers to resolve any financial issues (overspends, budget updates, etc.) related to grants and contracts, compliance with funder’s terms and conditions, and grant reporting requirements, including the submission of government-required forms (e.g., SF-270/424/425), and other interim and final financial reports.
- Support Ecotrust external funding proposals by assisting with budgets, including those for federally required “match” funding, and providing supporting documents.
- Provide project level financial reporting to program and grant managers.
- Prepare invoices in agreement with grant and contract terms.
- Apply payment received to invoices. Work with program staff and funders/clients to resolve any overdue invoices.
- Ensure expenses (including employee time and administrative overhead charges) and revenue are recorded correctly.
- Coordinate with the Development Team to ensure all inbound contributions are properly classified as unrestricted, temporarily restricted, or permanently restricted.
- Review all revenue for appropriate classification for audit, US GAAP, and 990 purposes.
- Calculate and submit proposal for the organization’s negotiated indirect cost rate with the federal government.
*Transferable skills: any skills gained through education, work experience (including the military) or life experience that are relevant for this position. Be sure to describe any transferable skills on your application and clearly explain how they apply to this position.
· 5 years of financial management/accounting experience
· Fluency and experience with finance-related technology such as accounting systems, business intelligence applications, and Microsoft Excel, including use of advanced functions and pivot tables
· Active listener and demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with a racially diverse group of stakeholders, including Finance team members and colleagues in other departments
· Experience with nonprofit grant budgets, including direct and indirect costs, matching funds, etc.
· Experience with nonprofit organizational budgets, such as restrictions and designations
· Ability to juggle multiple tasks and priorities; innate problem solver
· Commitment to financial integrity and transparency
· Commitment to embed racial equity and social justice into financial systems and budget decisions
· Experience in applying an equity lens when developing project budgets
Preferred, but Not Required Qualifications
· Experience managing reimbursable government grants and contracts and grant reimbursement forms
· Experience with Sage and Adaptive Planning software a plus
· Experience creating new systems, tools, or processes related to financial work
· Experience with indirect rates or overhead calculations
· BA/BS degree in accounting, finance or other related business fields
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will:
· Engage in regular communication in person as well as through electronic means
· Occasionally move up to 10 pounds
· Work in a business setting of open cubicles
· Work primarily from home or any quiet place while we wrestle with COVID-19 global pandemic
· May occasionally (~1/year) be required to travel overnight within the region to learn first-hand about Ecotrust’s mission impact
Salary Range: $68,700 - $80,000
This is a full-time position based in Portland, Oregon. Ecotrust offers a full benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance, and disability coverage. Ecotrust is committed to growth and learning for all staff members and provides relevant developmental training opportunities, and we strongly support our employees as whole people. At the discretion of Ecotrust, relocation expenses may be reimbursed to the selected candidate.
Please apply through this link: https://ecotrust.applytojob.com/apply/A2fjVVg3zi/Financial-Analyst?sourc... . Please limit your cover letter to 1-page maximum. Your cover letter should clearly explain how your skills, experience, and interests fit this position.
The Selection Process: In an effort to be as transparent as possible in our selection process as well as to help expedite bringing new staff on board, below is a timeline of key events:
Review of Resumes: 7/29-8/2
Initial Screening Phone Interviews (via Zoom): 8/3- 8/4
Face-to-face Interviews (via Zoom): 8/5-8/9
Reference checks: 8/10- 8/11
Extend offer: 8/12
Start date: 8/31
Learn more about this position by viewing a previously recorded Information Session.
To learn more about Ecotrust as a workplace, including employee benefits, please view this previously recorded information session.
COVID-19 Response. Ecotrust recognizes that the COVID-19 pandemic has disproportionately negative impacts on Black, Indigenous, and other people of color, immigrants, parents, caregivers, frontline workers, and others. While this position is a full-time position, Ecotrust will work with the final candidate to develop a schedule and workload that is manageable for them and their family during the pandemic, including reduced hours and working remotely until the pandemic is better controlled. We also offer paid sick leave for caregivers and those directly affected by COVID-19. Ecotrust recognizes these are unprecedented times and wants to remove any barriers that would prevent anyone disproportionately affected by the pandemic from applying.
Ecotrust is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse staff of qualified, highly-skilled, and creative individuals is necessary to achieve the vision and mission of the project. We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our workforce across a range of dimensions. Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian American, Pacific Islander, and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
To learn more about equity at Ecotrust, including our official equity statement and annual racial equity action plans and reports, please visit us at https://ecotrust.org/project/equity-at-ecotrust/. We expect all our employees to share a commitment to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion, and always seek ways to improve how well we live these values. If we can make the application process easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know. Once you have applied, we welcome your feedback on how you have experienced our values around diversity, equity, and inclusion in the recruitment process.
Veterans' Preference: Under Oregon Law, qualifying veterans may apply for veterans' preference for this recruitment. The contact listed on the job announcement must receive all required documentation by the closing date of the recruitment.
Accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act: We gladly provide reasonable accommodation to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing an application or participating in this recruitment process. Please reach out to the contact above in advance to request assistance.