Executive Director / Jefferson Live!
Overview: Jefferson Live! is seeking a dynamic, experienced individual with proven leadership qualities to oversee management and operation of its historic Cascade Theatre in Redding, CA www.cascadetheatre.org and the future operation of its historic Holly Theatre in downtown Medford, OR www.hollytheatre.org. The successful candidate will be based in culture rich Southern Oregon with occasional travel required to Redding, CA.
The Executive Director is responsible for providing the leadership, vision, fundraising and management needed to enable Jefferson Live! to fulfill its public service mission – inspiring, entertaining and educating its communities through art and culture while preserving and maintaining its historic landmark buildings. Strong fundraising, community relations, management, financial and team-building skills are required.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Executive Director is responsible for providing the leadership, vision, fundraising and management needed to enable Jefferson Live! to fulfill its public service mission – inspiring, entertaining and educating its communities through art and culture while preserving and maintaining its historic landmark buildings. Strong fundraising, community relations, management and team-building skills are required.
Strategic Planning and Governance
- Develop goals and objectives for Jefferson Live! and each of its operating units, which include the Cascade Theatre and Holly Theatre.
- Promote an effective and respectful culture for Jefferson Live! that embraces excellent service for its staff, audiences, renters, performers and donors.
- In conjunction with the President of the JPR Foundation, coordinate, schedule, and disseminate agendas and information related to Board of Directors meetings and other committee meetings.
- Serve as a member of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors, in ex-officio, non-voting capacity.
- Coordinate organizational planning between JPR Foundation Board members and staff.
- Maintain accurate records of minutes and materials from meetings in collaboration with Board Secretary.
- Provide feedback to the JPR Foundation Board of Directors regarding theatre operations.
- In collaboration with the Cascade Theatre General Manager, provide leadership for the Cascade Theatre Advisory Committee and solicit feedback regarding the theater’s operations and potential for improvement.
- In collaboration with the Holly Theatre Advisory Committee, solicit feedback regarding the theater’s operations and potential for improvement.
- Develop annual operating and capital budgets for Jefferson Live! and its operating units and establish and maintain systems for monitoring progress toward meeting organizational and budgetary goals. Present reports and information on Jefferson Live! consolidated and unit budget results to the JPR Foundation Board of Directors.
- Assure timely preparation and filing of reports including but not limited to audit and taxes.
- Assist in the development of sources of donated and contributed income for the Cascade and Holly Theatres.
- Oversee and administer tracking and development systems for grants, donations, and donor management.
- Oversee the professional maintenance and preservation of Jefferson Live’s historic theaters: the Cascade Theatre in Redding CA and the Holly Theatre in Medford OR.
- Maintain administrative operations, including office equipment, telephone and computer systems, software, data storage and records in a cost-effective, secure, and professional manner.
- Manage the day-to-day operation of the Holly Theatre and ensure that the theater operates effectively and efficiently in conducting its non-profit mission. During the final phase of the Holly’s restoration, actively participate in all fundraising activities to ensure completion of a successful capital campaign.
- Monitor and oversee the day-to-day operation of the Cascade Theatre and ensure that the theater operates effectively and efficiently in conducting its non-profit mission.
- Work with the independent contractor booking agent to develop annual performing arts series for both the Cascade and Holly Theatres. Duties include developing and analyzing event budgets and coordinating execution of artist contracts consistent with established budget limitations, policies and procedures.
- Assist the Cascade Theatre General Manager in developing annual performing arts series, marketing, developing business sponsors, accounting, production, effective utilization of volunteers and organizational development/governance.
- In addition to the regular performance series, maximize use of the Holly and Cascade Theatres year-round to include film programs and solicitation of rentals by third party promoters, local non-profit performance groups and other civic groups. Special emphasis should be given to promoting events that furthers the mission to provide diversity and educational programming.
- Supervise the General Manager for the Cascade Theatre and conduct an annual performance review, offering guidance for personal improvement and other issues relating to the Cascade Theatre operations.
- Supervise and assist staff at each venue in the marketing, membership and sponsorship fund development, box office operations, accounting, on-site production staff and organizational development/governance.
- Create the staffing structure that ensures the effective and efficient operation of the Holly Theatre upon its opening. Conduct annual and periodic performance reviews, offering guidance for personal improvement and other issues.
- Administer the hiring, training and replacement of all paid positions, as needed.
- Administer wage, benefit and payroll policies for Jefferson Live! employees, ensuring compliance with applicable laws and established personnel policies.
- Develop and implement training programs for Jefferson Live! staff as needed.
- Build and implement development plans and opportunities for professional staff.
- Implement succession planning for key positions within Jefferson Live! to ensure continuity.
- Represent Jefferson Live! to the business, civic, financial and non-profit communities in southern Oregon and northern California.
- Promote active and broad participation by volunteers at both the Cascade and Holly Theatres.
- Promote and effectively represent the Cascade and Holly Theatres as spokesperson to media and public groups.
- Proven organizational, fundraising and managerial leadership with a minimum of two years in non-profit administration
- Special event management experience
- Proven organizational, fundraising and managerial leadership with a minimum of five years in performing arts administration
- Extensive special event management experience
- Facility management/theater operation
Skills / Knowledge
- Effective oral and written communications skills
- Computer proficiency, including email, MS Word, MS Excel and database/ticketing programs
- Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience, augmented by available performance bonuses based upon annual evaluations and goal achievement
- Medical insurance, vacation, employer retirement plan
Send cover letter and resume as .pdf file to:
Deadline for submission is December 31, 2021, with starting date anticipated in April 2022.
Jefferson Live! is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, class, religion, country of origin, political belief, disability, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or any factor protected by law.