Everyday Democracy seeks an inaugural Chief Operating Officer to work in partnership with the President & CEO to provide internal leadership to the organization. This role will also work closely with leaders from across the organization to build effective organizational systems and culture with an equity lens. The Chief Operating Officer will oversee Everyday Democracy’s Human Resources, Finance, Programs, and Evaluation teams. A successful Chief Operating Officer will be a strong systems thinker with the ability to build collaboration matrixes across teams. The Chief Operating Officer will be required to lead change management processes, manage dynamic and complex projects simultaneously, and exercise a high degree of discernment, confidentiality, and good judgment. The Chief Operating Officer will partner closely with the President & CEO to manage organizational equity transformation and serve as strategic advisor and senior internal executive leader.
- Lead organizational change and operational improvements that streamline work processes, eliminate friction and foster a productive and collaborative culture.
- Assess enterprise-wide risks and set parameters for risk mitigation; identify financial, operational, and compliance gaps and fill those gaps with best practices from the nonprofit sector to support mission achievement.
- Partner with the President & CEO to continually assess the organization’s ongoing needs and build the infrastructure, systems, and processes required for Everyday Democracy to continue to grow.
- Partner with the President & CEO and the senior leadership team on a range of organizational development priorities to ensure that the organization has an equitable culture, structures, and capabilities, while achieving results.
- Lead and direct the finance, operations, human resources, and IT teams to design and introduce improvements that facilitate smooth and efficient operations, advance strategic objectives, and enable staff to achieve individual, team, and organizational goals.
- Regularly evaluate all administrative and support functions and revise processes and procedures as necessary to guarantee efficient and cost-effective operations and improve overall expense management, decision making, and continuous improvement.
- Improve access to and analyze data to improve operations, team performance, and programmatic impact; develop/implement appropriate metrics and ensure timely and reliable provision of critical management information and analyses.
- Oversee the preparation of reports to funders that showcase program activities and impact.
- Serve as the management liaison to the Board’s finance and audit committees; effectively communicate and present critical financial matters at Board of Directors and committee meetings.
- Demonstrate openness to new approaches by employing a continual spirit of learning; apply new thinking about processes, systems, and people as well as employing traditional strategies and tools in a new way.
- Attract, retain, and inspire top talent, creating a strong workplace culture that allows team members to maximize their performance, engagement, and thrive.
- Support the continued professional development of the staff to reinforce their ability to provide—in an integrated and cohesive manner—a high level of service to communities and partners.
- Align all staff functions and initiatives with the strategic plan and encourage/facilitate cross functional staff initiatives as necessary to support the organization’s strategy.
- Work across the organization to build a strong organizational culture that reflects Everyday Democracy’s values and ensures that the organization continues to be a vibrant environment where mission-aligned people want to work.
- Participate in growth and engagement activities such as networking and representing organization’s leadership team at meetings and events.
- Keep the President & CEO and Board abreast of current issues and potential problems as they develop and propose feasible and effective solutions.
- Attend and present at the organization’s board meetings when required.
- Lead, in partnership with the President and CEO, the design and implementation of strategies for growth, including plans and procedures.
- Ensure that an integrated cycle of planning, evaluation, learning, and adaptation exists across the organization and that there is a systematic and organizational-wide approach to executing Everyday Democracy’s programs.
- Work with the VP of Strategy and Impact to support the development of relevant policies and procedures pertaining to strategic planning, learning, and impact.
- Oversee strategic planning process, implementation and monitoring of the strategic plan, as well as annual planning in partnership with department leads.
- Provide strategic analysis and recommendations as required to support board and executive management’s decision making and resolution of strategic issues.
- Help ensure decision-making is aligned with the organization’s overall strategies.
- Work in partnership with Senior Director of Development to articulate program vision and strategy.
- 10+ years of senior management experience.
- Strong problem solving and project management skills.
- Must be structured in thinking and have excellent problem-solving ability, but tempered by an unmatched ability to pivot in response to opportunities and challenges
- A track record of building and leading high-performing teams that work collaboratively to meet established organizational goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to manage and influence direct reports, partners, associates, and staff to gain buy-in and support for ideas and initiatives in a collaborative manner.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills. Experience effectively presenting to senior leadership and/or board members.
- Superior management skills; strong mentoring and coaching experience, ideally to a team with diverse levels of expertise.
- Experience leading gap analyses to identify and prioritize operational improvements, building an organization well-equipped to implement these improvements, and directly leading the teams.
- Strong general business acumen, rather than a single functional focus, but with substantial financial management experience.
- Demonstrated competency to work within a multi-cultural team with a strong commitment to equity and racial justice.
$160,000 - $180,000 annually plus benefits package
To apply please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected]