ABOUT EASTSIDE SCHOOL
Eastside College Preparatory School is an independent school in East Palo Alto. In a community in which the high school dropout rate is 60%, Eastside students are trailblazing a new tradition of academic success. To date, 100% of our graduates have been accepted to a four year college or university, and 99% of our students are the first in their families to go to college. Eastside students are paving the way for a brighter future for themselves, their families, and their community.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Residential Faculty develop, implement and evaluate a residential program that promotes academic achievement, personal and emotional development, and preparation for college. The Residential Faculty also serves as Eastside’s designee to act as parental authority for residents, which includes ensuring their safety, health, and proper behavior.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Support for Students’ Academic and Personal Growth
- Serve as academic advisor for up to 20 students, assisting students in academic planning, reflecting on individual growth, and goal setting.
- Provide counseling and advising individually and/or in groups to meet the needs of students in academic performance, preparedness for college and adult responsibilities, adjusting to school and residential community life, and developing positive personal relationships.
- Supervise daily tutorials and monitor student academic progress, homework completion, and development of student skills.
- Assist students with applications (e.g. summer programs, scholarships, college, and financial aid).
- As part of the residential faculty team, develop and implement programming that fosters a positive community experience.
- Plan and facilitate weekly dorm meetings with residents to address needs of the residential community.
Communication with Academic Faculty and Families
- Meet with individual teachers as needed to address student academic, behavioral, and social progress.
- Communicate with parents on students’ progress throughout school year.
- Participate in all staff meetings and activities including parent conferences, dorm meetings, and schoolwide events.
- Demonstrated commitment to Eastside’s mission.
- BA/BS Degree or equivalent. Experience working with youth is highly desirable.
- Successfully complete the FBI and DOJ background check, possess a valid driver’s license, have a clean driving record, and have a current TB clearance.
- Counseling/problem solving skills; dependability; flexibility; written/verbal communication skills; interpersonal skills; flexibility; organization and planning skills.
Entry salary of $40,000/year. Employer paid healthcare benefits and 401(k) with match. Job includes on-campus two bedroom apartment.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please put "Residential Faculty Boys’ Dorm" in the subject line. Describe in your cover letter why you are interested in Eastside and how your experience matches with our needs.