ENGINEERS WITHOUT BORDERS USA
EWB-USA's vision is a world where every leader is equipped to build, and every community is built to thrive. We mobilize thousands of volunteers each year to respond to underserved communities' engineering needs. Our project teams design and build community-scale clean water systems, renewable energy sources, structures, and other infrastructure that our communities identify on their path to prosperity. As a charitable organization, our work is made possible by the donations of committed donors who join in our mission and vision and by the many volunteers who contribute their time and talent to advance our impact across the US and the world.
The CFO Role
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is a position of great responsibility and impact. The position is a member of our Lead Team, and we are looking for someone energized by our team principles:
- We value respect for each individual’s input and expertise. As a team, we are responsible for the success of the organization.
- We value collaboration which happens best when we are supportive and attentive to each other and ourselves.
- We value authenticity and diversity of opinions and create a safe space for this to occur.
- We are a united voice for the organization and advocate for the full EWB-USA team.
- We value celebrating our accomplishments.
SUMMARY OF MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES
The CFO is responsible for directing the organization's fiscal functions following generally accepted accounting principles issued by the Financial Accounting Standards Board and other regulatory and advisor organizations using financial management techniques and practices appropriate within the industry. We look to this position to provide leadership for the organization's financial stewardship.
Reporting to the CEO, the CFO will implement the structure and systems needed to support strategic objectives and help realize the full potential of EWB-USA. This person is responsible for the oversight of administrative and financial systems. As a senior management team member, the CFO is involved in a range of strategic planning, strategic finance, and internal initiatives. Outstanding communication skills and experience working with a senior management team are expected.
The CFO will act as the primary liaison to the Board of Directors’ Finance Committee and works closely with the committee to strengthen EWB-USA’s financial position and other items as required. This position will continually evaluate best industry practices compared to internal systems and needed resources, with an eye toward future needs and budget realities. This position will be directly responsible for building a staff team appropriate to the organization's needs. The current team consists of a Senior Accountant and an Accountant/Bookkeeper.
The position includes the following responsibilities:
- Financial management responsibility includes developing monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting materials and metrics for the CEO and Board of Directors. This includes regulatory filings for EWB-USA and others for whom EWB-USA may provide financial accounting services.
- Serve as a partner on the organization’s administrative and operational processes to continuously develop and improve systems.
- Monitors financial performance by measuring and analyzing results, initiating corrective actions, and minimizing the impact of variances.
- Be an advisor from a financial perspective on all contracts.
- Optimize bank and treasury relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash position.
- Plan, develop and implement budgetary processes and evaluate performance.
- Oversight of financial performance and filings of grants, sponsorships, and other funding opportunities with exchange requirements.
- Evaluate and advise on the impact of long-range planning and introducing new programs and strategies.
- Develop reliable cash flow projections and a reporting mechanism that includes a minimum cash threshold and the ability to meet operating needs.
- Have a detailed understanding of programmatic partnership commitments and agreements, and lead our revenue recognition process on restricted grants.
- Enhance, implement, and enforce financial policies and procedures of the organization by improving the overall operation and effectiveness.
- Remain current on new audit and accounting regulations and communicate changes and proposed strategies to the Finance and Audit Committees.
- Vigilance in reducing and minimizing risks.
- Ensure strategic focus improves and increases financial sustainability.
- Provide mentoring and financial education to volunteers and stakeholders.
- Support accounting functions in EWB-USA’s country and regional offices.
The CFO shall have a CPA license and at least 10+ years of non-profit experience, with at least five years managing the finances of a $5M+ organization or business unit. The successful candidate will have experience running operationally effective non-profit organizations with multiple functional areas. The CFO must be able to harness technology solutions to more quickly and efficiently communicate resources needed for key activities and performance against plans. Nonprofit experience is required, with a strong preference for someone operating in a fast-growing environment with limited budgets and resources. EWB-USA is transitioning to SageIntaact accounting software; knowledge of this software is expected.
Every staff member of EWB-USA must be able to represent the organization to stakeholders. They must possess the skills of initiative, teamwork, organizing and planning, problem-solving and decision-making, service to members, and self-reliance. The successful candidate must have a proven track record in these skills.
- Connection to EWB-USA’s mission and vision
- Superior communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in non-profit financial management and accounting
- Experience with audit, legal compliance, and budget development
- General management skills
- Proven effectiveness in managing others, empowering them to make decisions
- Technologically savvy, with experience overseeing information technology staff or vendors
- Experience effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, the Board or other outside partners/influencers/clients
- Success in seeing beyond the numbers, identifying trends and new possibilities
- Master’s or advanced degree preferred
- Mastery of spreadsheets and accounting software (SageIntaact, Paychex, FE, Excel, Google Suite)
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Continually required to sit or stand at the computer for extended periods.
- Frequently required to participate in virtual meetings
- Frequently required to enter and review text or data on a computer.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds, rarely up to 50 lbs.
- Travel Requirements - minimal
Regularly and professionally engage with organization volunteers. This includes working with the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors, chapter accounting, and other volunteer financial activities.
Compensation & Benefits
Hiring Range: $120,000 - $130,000
EWB-USA offers a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, unlimited PTO, 401K, and a flexible and collaborative work environment.
Preference given to Denver-based applicants; however, depending on experience, the location may be flexible. Occasional travel to Denver will be required as necessary.
Engineers Without Borders USA is an equal-opportunity employer.