Heart Math Tutoring (HMT) is a Charlotte-based nonprofit that helps elementary students develop a strong foundation in math and the enthusiasm for academics needed for long-term success by matching them with trained, committed tutors. Since 2010, volunteers from across the region have provided high-quality tutoring to elementary school students performing below grade level in math and who might not otherwise have access to resources for private tutoring. HMT’s work is grounded in the belief that with the right tools and support volunteer tutors are a powerful resource for students and that all children can achieve high levels of understanding in math.
Heart Math Tutoring seeks a collaborative, mission-driven, and experienced operational leader to serve as the nonprofit’s inaugural Chief Operating Officer (COO). The new COO will inherit a well-established team consisting of five to six direct reports and 30+ full-time and part-time programming, human resources, technology, and office staff. The COO will report directly to the Executive Director and is responsible for maintaining and driving operational results with the organization. The COO will be responsible for handling the day-to-day leadership responsibilities of the organization; effectively communicating and fostering growth among team members; monitoring programming and organizational performance with tracking and establishing corrective measures as needed; ensuring that all organizational systems, policies, and practices reflect the mission of Heart Math Tutoring; and supporting the organization’s mission and vision.
Charlotte is located in the south-central part of North Carolina. Known locally as the Queen City, Charlotte is the 17th largest city in the U.S., with approximately 900,000 residents and is one of the fastest growing regions in the country. It has a wealth of jobs in a healthy and growing economy, with thriving health care, finance and professional service sectors and a tech talent pool growing at twice the national average. Charlotte is known for its educated, talented, and innovative workforce, its lower cost of living, and neighborhoods fit for any lifestyle, including vibrant urban centers, lakeside living, suburban cul-de-sacs and quaint towns and rural areas. With more than 220 days of sunshine a year, mild winters, and four seasons, the weather is a real plus.
Leadership, People Management, and Team Building
- Engage, support, and direct team composed of full-time and part-time staff and volunteers.
- Recruit, hire, train, coach, and develop staff.
- Build meaningful connections with staff and develop trust with the team.
- Serve as a strategic thought partner to the Executive Director.
- Provide leadership, thought partnership, and tactical support to team members to ensure all organizational systems, policies, and practices reflect the mission of HMT.
Program Development, Management, and Evaluation
- Oversee and support HMT’s programs to assure quality and alignment with HMT’s mission; values; operating principles; and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Employ evaluation and assessment expertise to measure programmatic impact on students, volunteers, and staff.
- Engage directly with board to ensure programmatic transparency, communicate key program goals and priorities, and efficacy in programming.
- Maintain and improve data tracking systems for volunteerism and program performance.
- Use data to monitor and develop program benchmarks and make strategic recommendations and adjustments.
- Identify resources to support the growth and quality of the program.
- Ensure program is operating in compliance with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools partnership agreements.
- Oversee and ensure excellent operations in HMT’s human resources, office environment, technology, and culture initiatives, which includes overseeing a positive work environment and supporting best in class diversity, equity, and inclusion practices.
- Maintain and improve data tracking systems for staff performance and organizational culture.
- Drive initiatives that promote culture, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Use an equity lens to create and maintain an inclusive culture for the staff.
External Relationship Building and Communications
- Actively participate in volunteer tutor recruitment.
- Serve as a key spokesperson for HMT to the community, presenting to companies and potential partners to fill volunteer roles.
- Support program managers as they manage school relationships and external volunteer recruitment efforts.
- Build, maintain, and steward relationships with schools, partners, and volunteers.
- Provide regular updates to school district administrators regarding the effectiveness of the program and programming needs.
- Build and maintain trusted relationships with school personnel, community partners, and other stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree required with a minimum of five years of relevant and progressively rising levels of operational leadership and management experience.
- Knowledge of K-12 education school systems.
- Demonstrated experience serving as a strategic thought partner to executive leadership.
- Ability to recruit, train, motivate, empower, and grow a team of talented professionals to ensure key organizational metrics are met.
- Demonstrated experience with project management, data management, and reporting, along with using data accurately to develop program benchmarks and make strategic recommendations.
- Passionate about the mission of Heart Math Tutoring and the people served by the organization.
The position provides excellent benefits and a competitive salary.
Elinvar has been retained to conduct this search. Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] for confidential consideration. Applications will be considered as they are received and accepted until the position is filled. You are encouraged to apply promptly and no later than March 25, 2022.
We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We strongly encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply.