Consumer Reports is seeking a Community Manager to join our new Digital Lab team – a group of tenacious journalists, privacy experts, product testers, technologists and policy analysts dedicated to shining a light on the data privacy and security issues that consumers increasingly face, as well as examining the broader topics of fair market competition, transparency, and consumer choice in today's marketplace. By scaling our capabilities and expertise for the digital era, Consumer Reports is expanding efforts to protect, educate, and empower consumers in our connected world while holding companies to higher standards.
The Community Manager for Digital Communications develops and executes an online and social media strategy that amplifies CR’s mission in the marketplace, identifies opportunities to engage with influentials and protects CR’s reputation as an independent, nonprofit organization. Serving on the Communications team and as a core member of CR’s distributed social media teams, this individual works to build CR’s brand to advance marketplace change in part by creating strategies that enable CR experts and executives to develop their social media profiles. In addition, this role is responsible for CR’s presence across third-party sites, including Wikipedia, LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Google Knowledge Graph, etc.
The Community Manager of Digital Communications must be adept at working in a highly matrixed organization as well as focusing on both immediate and long-term strategic needs. H/she will regularly seize on, or respond to, real-time opportunities to maximize impact and analyze quantitative and qualitative metrics to advance efforts.
- In collaboration with communications and cross-functional leaders, concepts and executes a social media strategy that builds online presence for CR as brand in addition to specific individuals.
- Ensures alignment with overarching communication strategies via social media to advance CR’s story as an independent, nonprofit organization, dedicated to bending the marketplace in favor of consumers.
- Identifies opportunities for experts and executives to engage online on consumer issues, working with stakeholders from content, marketing, social impact and member support.
- Shares and responds to opportunities in real-time and creates feedback loop.
- Builds, monitors and manages CR’s online reputation across key social channels (Twitter, Facebook and YouTube), third-party sites such as Wikipedia, Google Knowledge Graph and Glassdoor, and major blogs in partnership with the extended social team across CR.
- Creates and fosters communities to increase engagement, social following/ambassadors and brand affinity, providing regular updates on key metrics.
- Collaborates with outside agency partner(s).
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field is required.
- A minimum of five to seven years of hands-on experience with advanced knowledge and understanding of social media platforms and third-party sites, including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Wikipedia, Google Knowledge Graph, Glassdoor and others.
- Must have demonstrated success in community management and driving online engagement; Wikipedia experience a plus.
- Comfortable providing strategic communications counsel to cross functional partners and engaging with senior management.
- Team player who collaborates well with others across highly matrixed organization.
- Exceptionally strong interpersonal, social media, verbal communication, and project management skills.