Under close supervision, an intern will perform entry level professional duties of moderate difficulty providing the opportunity for professional training in various functional areas throughout the company. Performs assigned duties to acquire knowledge of methods, procedures and standards required for successful performance within the Crisis Response business unit. May perform duties such as gathering and organizing data to provide information for departmental special projects or reports; basic arithmetic computations; assist in preparing written reports; accompany professional level employees on assignments; conduct interviews with clients or internal personnel to obtain basic information for departmental use; contacts other departments or outside agencies by phone to request or give information and other related duties as assigned. Assignments serve to offer practical experience and broad exposure to the company’s organizational structure. Utilizes current company-wide and/or department specific software to complete assignments.
- Analyzes, generates and maintains records and other reference material necessary for departmental use.
- Answers and makes phone calls, responds to program related questions and sends written material as appropriate.
- Composes, types and prints reports, general letters, spreadsheets, e-mail, and memoranda from rough drafts or general instructions, involving the assembly of data from computer and paper file or record sources.
- Applies research techniques and analytical methods to the study of administrative systems, organizational structures, policies and procedures.
- Conducts special studies in conjunction with a project, analyzes data and makes recommendations based upon studies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of moderate scope that require analysis and evaluation of identifiable factors and interpretation of the situation.
- Exercises judgment within defined and existing practices to determine specific work methods for obtaining results.
- Decisions may affect a work unit or area within a department.
- Close supervision involving detailed instructions and frequent monitoring of work performance.
- Contacts are primarily within immediate work unit.
- Contacts involve obtaining or providing information requiring little explanation or interpretation
- Contributes to business and departmental functions to achieve goals and acquire work experience.
- Receives general instructions on assignments and work is reviewed for accuracy and completion.
- Typically reports to a Manager.
- Typically requires 0-2 years of college experience in a related field of study.
- Articulate, professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English.
- Ability to speak a foreign language is a plus.
- Prior work experience in a non- governmental organization (NGO).
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.