The Duke University Stanback Internship Program provides Duke students with project-based learning experiences in energy, conservation, advocacy, policy, research, law and applied resource management. The Internship Program is open to any Duke student - undergraduate, graduate, and international students - who will be enrolled in Fall 2019 classes. Internships are located throughout the US, and the internship is for 11-weeks and interns receive up to $6,000 stipend.
The majority of intern candidates will be Nicholas School students pursuing the degree of Master of Environmental Management (MEM) or Master of Forestry (MF). The MEM and MF degree programs stress interdisciplinary approaches to environmental problem solving. Program specialization tracks within the degrees include conservation science and policy, forest management, coastal management, environmental economics and policy, global environmental change, and water and air resources.
This Stanback internship is limited to Duke University students only. Students from the Duke Law School, Fuqua School of Business, Sanford School of Public Policy, Pratt School of Engineering, and other undergraduate programs are also invited to apply for Stanback internships.
- Interns will work with lawyers, scientists, and policy experts to conduct research and draft position papers, comments, and letters on a wide range of ocean issues, including possible work on marine protected areas, illegal fishing, industrial impacts to the ocean (e.g., offshore wind, offshore oil & gas exploration), and/or fisheries management.
- Work may include a focus on a review and analysis of MPA enforcement in California. Likely products would be a report or a series of papers analyzing specific issues.
- Strong research skills and excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively without extensive supervision.
- Close attention to detail.
- A demonstrated interest in public policy.
- An interest in ocean conservation a plus.
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.