The Finance Associate will be responsible for accounts payables while ensuring financial compliance with new and existing guidelines as set forth by generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), the Department of Justice, and multiple funding sources, as applicable. He or she will work in partnership with other Finance, Operations & Government Affairs personnel to ensure that rules and regulations, as set forth by grantors, are adhered to, and that responses to funding source audit inquiries are successfully completed.
The Finance Associate will assist the Director of Finance and Accounting with the data collection necessary to calculate indirect cost recovery, office expenditures and allocations, and timesheet allocations. He or she will assist with: posting the operating and programmatic budgets to the general ledger, budget reconciliation and distribution, monitoring program expenditures, and conducting variance analysis.
Additionally, the Finance Associate will implement new systems for managing reports and will communicate financial information to Justice Center staff. He or she will prepare special reports as necessary, distribute reports accordingly, and maintain financial and grant award files. He or she will work with all members of the finance team to strengthen internal communications and systems and controls.
This position offers a considerable level of responsibility and opportunity for an individual who wants to establish a career in finance and/or accounting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Specific responsibilities of the Finance Associate include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Process accounts payable such as travel reimbursements and general invoices;
- Scan and save all invoices in their respective folders;
- Update invoice tracking report as invoices are paid on a weekly basis;
- Reconcile all JC General Ledger accounts as it relates to Accounts Payable;
- Process the corporate general purchasing card activity, reconcile monthly while keeping in line with financial compliance and federal regulations and foundation guidelines, as applicable;
- Send monthly invoices to the subleases at 100 Wall St and reconcile both accounts;
- Reconcile the operations account when computers are distributed to employees;
- Update the internal Timesheet and Project Codes workbook;
- Actively participate with monthly, quarterly, and annual financial closings;
- Prepare required journal entries for Finance Manager's review;
- Prepare post-grant report for meetings over $20K;
- Bill agencies, i.e., organizations that contract specific Justice Center staff to provide professional services and follow up on outstanding reimbursements;
- Actively participate in staff discussions and strategic financial planning meetings;
- Maintain internal controls and recommend adjustments when necessary;
- Assist in the research and resolution of audit inquiries from both internal and external sources under the guidance of the Director of Finance and Accounting;
- Contribute to the evolution of CSG Justice Center's Financial Edge database;
- Brief Director of Finance and Accounting on any financial discrepancies or issues that may arise from time to time;
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance and Accounting.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Skilled with spreadsheets and pivot tables;
- Working knowledge of financial accounting software systems;
- Working knowledge of how to prepare and interpret income statements and balance sheets;
- An analytical mind and strong oral communication and writing skills, including the ability to effectively distill and present complex information in a concise way;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, maturity, and ability to work independently and in a team setting, with a sense of humor;
- Detail-oriented with an efficient, organized work style and an ability to prioritize quickly and confidently under multiple deadlines.
- A minimum of two years of accounting and/or financial analysis experience or a combination of both, preferably in the not-for-profit industry;
- A minimum of two years of financial accounting software systems experience, preferably with The Financial Edge.