350.org’s Latin America is looking for an enthusiastic and diligent Brazil Climate Defenders Organizer!
The Brazil Climate Defenders Organizer will implement national and local activities of the 350.org Climate Defenders Program in Brazil, collaborating with other 350.org staff in the Latin America region.
The Brazil Climate Defender Organizer will engage and build relationships with volunteers, partners, environmental and climate defenders, and indigenous peoples. The Organizer will organize trainings and educational activities, implement campaigns, and work with our communications and digital teams to tell stories from on the ground. Special attention to those defenders that have been or are potentially impacted, threatened, displaced by the driving forces of greenhouse gas emissions and the fossil fuel industry.
Activities and tasks may include, among others, mapping threats to climate defenders due to the fossil fuel industry; networking with other movements and alliances on issues and actions related to the defense of climate defenders; policy monitoring and engagement with the relevant actors as regards to the preventive measures and investigations related to threats and violence against defenders; field visits to vulnerable and or threatened communities and leaders. Field visits, participation and occasional speeches at public and private events across Brazil will also be part of the work, as well as cooperation with 350.org professionals from the communication and digital teams for outreach, including opportunities to write and sign articles, be interviewed and keep contact with media people.
The Organizer will work jointly with the Brazilian team and 350.org staff in other regions and departments, and engage with networks and alliances of diverse sectors of our society.
This role offers a unique window into the inner workings of the organisation and the climate movement. It will be ideal for a highly organised, detail-oriented individual who has a strong interest in progressive social change and the way organisations work. The right candidate will be kind and approachable, and ready to take on challenges. They will be committed to their own well-being and the well-being of others, an excellent communicator, and able to function in a remote team that rarely meets in-person. They will have the ability to exercise discretion, maintain calm under pressure, and have strong prioritisation and time-management instincts.
- Coordinate the planning, development, assessment and reporting of events and actions related to climate defenders, held by 350.org in Brazil
- Engage and provide support to climate defenders, either through preventive measures or emergency responses, in collaboration of 350.org staff and local partners
- Identify opportunities, demands and needs for enhancing the capacity of climate defenders to implement and/or demand preventive measures and/or emergency responses, so as to strengthen their resilience in the struggle for a fair and sustainable world
- Participate in national and subnational alliances, networks and initiatives related to the defense of climate defenders in Brazil
- Coordinate with staff (campaigners, organizers, among others) of the diverse 350.org campaigns and partners across Brazil, so as to embed climate defenders concerns/issues in the diverse campaigns carried out by 350.org
- Collect and share intelligence and information about the social, political, legislative, regulatory and economic framework relevant to promote climate defenders’ rights, from a climate justice and regional perspectives
- Represent 350.org at events and with grassroots activist groups, decision-makers, donors, and other allies, including the environmental community at large
- Communicate threats, risks and or opportunities for 350.org campaigns and mission in Brazil
- Share with the team and provide contact details of local partners and people interested in 350.org climate defenders' activities
- Familiarity with international and national issues related to climate change causes and impacts and basic knowledge of the international organization framework in the field of climate change and the environment (UN agencies and treaties)
- Comprehensive approach to climate change challenges, including energy, production and consumption patterns, public policies and legislation etc.
- At least five (5) years of experience with campaigns and projects developed by civil society organizations, particularly in issues related to the promotion and defence of rights, citizenship and engagement of people in policy-making and governance, and sustainable development in the non-profit sector, and with strategic planning, budget management, finance accountability, ideally in an international context
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A commitment to your own personal growth and development
- Proficient with virtual meeting technology, Google Drive and other online communications technologies
- Fluent in Portuguese
- Confidence in using internet-based software for calendaring/scheduling
Desired (but not required) skills and experiences
- High level proficiency in Google Suite and Zoom Video Conferencing preferred
- Has an interest in social & environmental justice issues
- Communication skills in English and or Spanish
Competitive compensation based on experience.