Atlanta Habitat for Humanity, one of the largest builders of single family homes in Atlanta, is seeking a job candidate who is interested in learning or refining residential construction skills. Atlanta Habitat constructs new energy-efficient homes, typically on a 8-Saturday build schedule, and each House Leader builds about five houses per year. The House Leader serves as a manager for the entire construction process. House Leaders manage 30-40 volunteers each build day and serve as a liaison between Atlanta Habitat and the families purchasing our homes. Candidates should have previous experience with residential construction, be familiar with the building inspection process in the City of Atlanta, possess strong organizational skills, be proficient with basic computer skills, have excellent communication skills, and be mission-driven.
The mission of Atlanta Habitat for Humanity is to partner with families, sponsors and communities to build affordable, green, quality homes and to provide support services that promote successful home purchase and ownership. The House Leader In Training oversees functions critical to the success of the mission – construction with volunteers.
The House Leader In Training is responsible for all construction with volunteer activities. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Leading the volunteers on build days
- Reviewing and understanding house plans
- Monitoring the construction process on non-build days
- Leading the rehabilitation process for Hab II builds on build days
- Assisting with construction-related inventory monitoring
- Maintaining the tools and equipment needed for volunteers
- Serving as a liaison to the homebuyers during the construction process
Qualified candidates must meet all of the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, high school diploma or GED required.
- Minimum of one year of professional experience required, preferably in the construction industry.
- Current knowledge of residential construction techniques preferred.
- Computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Strong organization and communication skills.
- Able to meet deadlines and pay attention to details.
- Able to work well with all staff, diverse groups of volunteers, homeowners, independent contractors and other stakeholders.
- Able to lift up to 75 pounds, perform heavy manual tasks, work standing or walking for a significant portion of the work day, and be capable of performing outside duties under all weather conditions.
- Able to respond to emergency situations calmly and effectively.
- Strong leadership skills.
This position is full-time and offers a full benefits package. Hours for this position are typically 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Tuesdays through Fridays, and 7:00 am to 3:30 pm on Saturdays. Some additional hours may be required to meet the construction schedule. This position requires extensive driving around the City of Atlanta. Candidates must have a valid driver's license and a good driving record.
To apply for this job, go to www.atlantahabitat.org/apply. Please no walk-ins, phone calls or faxes. Only candidates meeting all position requirements will be considered. More information about Atlanta Habitat for Humanity may be found on our website www.atlantahabitat.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Atlanta Habitat is a Drug-Free Workplace. This position is subject to a criminal background and credit check, periodic DMV checks for driving record and valid driver’s license, and drug and alcohol testing. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of all checks and testing.
Equal Opportunity Policy: Atlanta Habitat is dedicated to a policy of equal opportunity. We will give fair and equal treatment to all employees and applicants for employment. It is the policy of Atlanta Habitat to prohibit discrimination or harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants, without regard to race, color, gender identity, family medical history or genetic information, religion, sex, disability, familial status, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, age, sexual orientation, past or present military status, receipt of public assistance, or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy applies to all employment practices and personnel actions, including compensation, recruitment, training, working conditions and opportunities for advancement.