350.org’s Latin America s looking for an enthusiastic and diligent Latin America Climate Defenders Campaigner!
The Latin America Climate Defenders Campaigner will be responsible for providing support to the 350.org Climate Defenders Program's activities in the region, either implemented directly and or by partners, dealing with themes such as defense of human rights of those climate and environment defenders, Indigenous Peoples and frontline communities. Special attention is on those defenders that have been or are potentially impacted, threatened, or displaced by the driving forces of greenhouse gas emissions and the fossil fuel industry.
The Latin America Climate Defenders Campaigner will work with volunteers, groups and partners across the Latin America region to support local campaigns and identify opportunities for new campaigns to protect climate defenders and create safer conditions for activism.
The Campaigner will work alongside the 350.org Latin America teams to provide trainings and educational activities, from time to time make field visits to affected communities, and work with our communications and digital teams to tell stories from on the ground. The Campaigner will support regional and global initiatives such as 350.org’s campaigns at the United Nations climate talks in Santiago, Chile. The Campaigner will be responsible for dialogue with public servants and authorities involved in the preventative measures and investigations of threats and violence against defenders.
This role offers a unique window into the inner workings of the organisation and the climate movement. It will be ideal for a highly organised, detail-oriented individual who has a strong interest in progressive social change and the way organisations work. The right candidate will be kind and approachable, and ready to take on challenges. They will be committed to their own well-being and the well-being of others, an excellent communicator, and able to function in a remote team that rarely meets in-person. They’ll have the ability to exercise discretion, maintain calm under pressure, and have strong prioritisation and time-management instincts.
- Plan, develop and report on campaigns and initiatives related to climate defenders by 350.org in Latin America;
- Engage and provide support to climate defenders, either in preventative measures or emergency response situations, through the collaboration of 350.org staff and local partners;
- Build relationships with and participate in regional and national alliances, networks and special initiatives related to the defense of climate defenders in Latin America;
- Coordinate with staff (campaigners, organizers etc) of the diverse 350.org campaigns and partners across Latin America, so as to "internalize" climate defenders concerns/issues in the diverse campaigns carried out by 350.org;
- Maintain a working knowledge of climate defenders issues and of the social, political, legislative, regulatory and economic framework relevant to promote their rights, from a climate justice and regional perspectives;
- Represent 350.org at events, with grassroots activist groups, decision-makers, donors, and other allies, including the environmental community at large;
- Communicate threats, risks and or opportunities for 350.org campaigns and mission in the region;
- Build networks: link 350.org’s activities with local partners and people interested in 350.org climate defenders' activities.
- At least three (3) years of experience with campaigns and projects developed by civil society organisations, particularly in issues related to the promotion and defence of rights, citizenship, and sustainable development
- Experience with strategic planning, budget management, and finance accountability, ideally in an international context
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A commitment to your own personal growth and development
- Proficient with virtual meeting technology, google drive and other digital technologies
- Fluent in Spanish and or Portuguese, as well as reasonable proficiency in English
- Confidence in using internet-based software for calendaring/scheduling
Desired (but not required) skills and experiences
- High level proficiency in Google Suites and Zoom Video Conferencing preferred
- Has an interest in social & environmental justice issues