350.org’s Latin America is looking for an enthusiastic Argentina Frontline Organizer!
The Argentina Frontline Organizer will be responsible for mobilising communities effectively or potentially impacted by the fossil fuel industry, including fracking, as well as other conventional and dangerous energy-related project, with the aim to assist them to deal with the strategies and actions to protect their territories, culture, socioeconomic sustainable activities and struggles for greater resilience in face of those risky and pollutant projects.
By "mapping" impacts and affected sectors of society, the Frontline Organizer will contribute to the efforts of 350.org and of those communities to bring about change and accelerate the transition to a low carbon economy, while promoting rights and raising public awareness on demands and options for strengthening sustainable livelihoods of those communities and sectors.
The organizer, in cooperation with other 350.org staff, will also collaborate with capacity building activities of indigenous people, farmers, urban inhabitants, among others, and their engagement with climate change issues, such as on clean and renewable energy, anti-fracking, human rights in environmental and land tenure issues. The organizer will also identify opportunities, risks and potential or effective threats for indigenous people, farmers and other communities in their quest of safe, fair and clean conditions for sustainable livelihood. The organizer will work as a member of the Argentina Team, and will have to attend private or public events on behalf of 350.org in Argentina or and in any other country of the region.
This role offers a unique window into the inner workings of the organisation and the climate movement. It will be ideal for a highly organised, detail-oriented individual who has a strong interest in progressive social change and the way organisations work. The right candidate will be kind and approachable, and ready to take on challenges. They will be committed to their own well-being and the wellbeing of others, an excellent communicator, and able to function in a remote team that rarely meets in-person. They will have the ability to exercise discretion, maintain calm under pressure, and have strong prioritisation and time-management instincts.
The role will be performed in Argentina, for professionals who are residents or can move into the country. Have knowledge and experience of the social, economic, energy, cultural and environmental context of Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile and Brazil (Mercosur).
- At least three (3) years of experience with issues related to social, environmental and economic impacts of the fossil fuel industry in Argentina, particularly with mobilisation and awareness of local stakeholders
- Ability to communicate complex ideas in clear, concise terms (written and verbally)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proficient with virtual meeting technology, Google Drive and other online communications technologies
- A commitment to your own personal growth and development
- Fluent in Spanish
- Confidence in using internet-based software for calendaring/scheduling
Desired (but not required) skills and experiences
- High level proficiency in Google Suites and Zoom Video Conferencing preferred
- Has an interest in social & environmental justice issues, and/or experience working in international contexts across a variety of cultures
- Communication skills in English
Compensation: ARS 837,000 (We shall pay an additional currency devaluation allowance)