FHI 360 is seeking applications for a Technical Advisor for an anticipated project in Jordan, focused on improving health and nutrition outcomes through a community health approach. The Technical Advisor will be responsible for technical leadership of the program to ensure quality, timeliness, and efficiency of all activities and will be responsible for defining the project’s community-based health and nutrition strategy. The Technical Advisor will be responsible for ensuring adherence to global standards of excellence and best practices in community-based programming. The position will be based in Amman and will report to the Chief of Party. Recruitment is contingent upon successful award of the project and the selection of the final applicant is subject to USAID approval.
Provides technical and scientific leadership to those designing, and implementing technical strategies, programs or tools in specific technical areas. Provides technical advice based upon expertise and knowledge of evidence-based methods and strategies, current practice, and established operational and research standards to ensure quality and rigorous design. Builds capacity in country-level, regional or global program staff. Assesses current technical, scientific, managerial and operational efficiencies at the program, regional, or global levels as appropriate. Provides guidance to ensure that program implementation adheres to appropriate technical standards and guidelines and that programs are technically sound. May evaluate proposal design and protocol development to ensure design is sound and based upon evidence-based practice.
- Provide technical leadership to ensure the design and implementation of effective, innovative, and pragmatic community health and nutrition activities that will promote good health and nutrition practices and create systems that address community health needs.
- Cooperate closely with the Chief of Party (COP) on all project matters.
- Support development of work plans, M&E Plans, and quarterly and annual reports.
- Ensure achievements and deliverables are completed in a timely manner and in full support and compliance with FHI 360 and USAID requirements.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of the project technical strategies, adapting global and regional technical resources and tools as needed for the Jordanian context.
- Oversee a team of technical staff for the project and ensure clear roles and responsibilities and lines of communication are maintained amongst the team members.
- Provide nutrition technical assistance to project staff, partner organizations, Government of Jordan, and other stakeholders. This may include development of job aids, guidelines, training and capacity strengthening activities, monitoring and evaluation, and other related tasks.
- Oversee technical outputs of all partner organizations through regular field visits and facilitate work planning and regular technical meetings for all consortium partners.
- Identify technical assistance needs and training resources among project staff, partners, government counterparts and beneficiaries and coordinate technical assistance provision.
- Promote sustainability of project activities with effective networking, coordination and linkages to other programs, partners and counterparts, capacity building of project staff, and institutional strengthening of implementing partners and community-based organizations.
- Represent the project in technical meetings, conferences, and coordination platforms
- 5+ years of experience in the design, management, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of community-level nutrition and health projects in developing countries.
- 5+ years of progressively more responsible technical supervisory work experience that involved direct leadership of professional and support staff, and oversight and evaluation of staff performance and deliverables.
- Knowledge and experience working within the health and nutrition sectors in developing countries; experience working in Jordan highly preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of working in teams and fostering partnerships.
- Experience with USAID-funded activities highly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with host country government personnel, stakeholders, NGO partners, and international donor agencies.
- Strong interpersonal, writing and oral presentation skills in English and Arabic.
- Ability to work independently and manage a high volume work flow.
- Relevant computer software skills, including at a minimum, MS Office, etc.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.